9 Reasons To Be Grateful For Younger Brothers

As much as you can't stand them sometimes, you've got to love them a little bit, too.

11
Shannon Genereau

They can certainly be a pain in the neck a large portion of the time, but when it comes down to it, I think I’m more glad than not to have two younger brothers. Here’s why:

1.They make you tougher.

I’m not saying that people aren’t tough already, but having one or two younger brothers can make you stronger, especially with arm wrestling and the occasional fist-fight.

2.They can teach you something.

Without brothers around, it can be easier to take the clean way out of things—avoiding the mud pits and trying to stay dry when you’re near a body of water become nearly impossible when you have younger brothers. But it’s moments like these that teach you to be spontaneous and enjoy life.

3.You can teach them something.

They look up to you for the first 10 years or so of their life (and then they look down on you because they are finally taller than you). In that time, you have the ability to teach them something about what kind of person they can be. Whether or not they listen… that’s something you cannot control.

4.They can make little moments into big moments.

Occasionally, the times that seem the least significant to us can leave the biggest impressions. Just the other night, I was driving home with one of my brothers. We had a little jam session in the car and it was fun. Even though it was little more than two people listening to and belting out some tunes, I won’t forget it any time soon because it was just us in our own little world.

5.They remind you of how far you’ve come…

Remember those days in middle school when you thought you were so cool? Or those days in high school when you ruled the school? Well, if you’ve started to forget, they can certainly help you remember, and they can even make you grateful for all you’ve accomplished since then.

6.They also remind you how how far you’ve yet to go.

Just as they can be a measure of how far you’ve brought yourself, younger brothers also remind us of how much we can grow ourselves. Seeing them grow up means you’re growing up, too.

7.They can irritate the heck out of you… and that can be a good thing.

While it might not seem like a good thing initially, focusing on the little problems they are causing in your life can take your mind off the bigger issues in your life, whether that be related to school or family or relationships. Focus on your little brother’s, and that’s all there is.

8.They make you try new things.

This is not to say other siblings would avoid Legos, Lincoln Logs, or Tinker Toys, but having younger brothers definitely piqued interest in my family for those toys. In fact, it even inspired a collection of Harry Potter Lego sets for one family member…

9.They can make you a better person.

When you have a younger brother (or two), you are usually there from the day they come home to the day you leave for college. In that time, you get to know them and become a different person than you would have been if they weren’t around. I count my blessings every day that I have two younger brothers. I don’t know who I would be without them.