9 Alternatives to Mylan's EpiPen

9 Alternatives to Mylan's EpiPen

Because Big Pharma doesn't have the right to determine your safety

321
9 Alternatives to Mylan's EpiPen
https://static-ssl.businessinsider.com/image/57c43cbcb996eb94008b4e7a-2400/ap_302359722512.jpg

You’ve probably seen the recent outrage over Mylan’s decision to skyrocket the price of the EpiPen, an injector containing epinephrine necessary to people with severe allergies causing the user to have symptoms such as low blood pressure, wheezing, severe skin itching, anaphylaxis, and other such issues. These auto-injectors are life-saving to those with severe allergies – upon contact with an allergen, the user need only to grab their EpiPen and use it to save themselves prior to medical treatment. For many, carrying this around is not an option, as contact with allergens can come at any time.

Yet Mylan, the drug company which manufactures these life-saving injectors, has hiked the price 450% since 2004. The auto-injector’s dosage only costs about $1 to make, yet Mylan recently hiked the price to over $600 for a pack of two.

Now if you’re anything like me, you don’t have the choice to even consider walking around without epinephrine in your bag, but you also don’t have $600 lying around to obtain one. Here’s a list of alternatives you can consider if you’re facing the same issues as I am.

To get any of these alternatives, ask your doctor or healthcare professional. Often, this will involve asking for a prescription for an “epinephrine auto-injector.” Remember you cannot get the cheaper alternative with a prescription for an EpiPen.

*Disclaimer: I am NOT a healthcare professional. I am not a doctor. PLEASE consult your doctor before taking any of these routes. You do not want to be carrying something around that will not work for you should you have a reaction.

1. Adrenaclick

Adrenaclick is an emergency injection of epinephrine, just like the EpiPen. It delivers an emergency shot of epinephrine in the same way as the EpiPen in case of emergencies involving anaphylaxis due to allergic reactions. According to ConsumerReports, the cost could be as low as $140 with coupons.

2. DIY EpiPencil

The EpiPencil was created by Michael Laufer, a professor at Menlo College in California. He figured out how to create an alternative DIY version of the EpiPen that can be assembled in a matter of minutes. In his 5-minute instructional video, he details how to create the EpiPencil at home for about $30, and has an instructional in the description of the video.

3. Fill prescription in Canada

A number of news stories have popped up with people crossing the border to Canada to fill their prescription rather than doing so in the states. If you have the ability to do so, the cost for an EpiPen in Canada is about $100, which is significantly cheaper than the price in the States.

4. Syringe + Epinephrine

Having your doctor prescribe epinephrine and manually administering it with a syringe has been another alternative to the EpiPen. However, this route is riskier – auto-injectors automatically give the proper amount, so you have to be careful with this one especially should you be in a reaction. If done correctly though, your cost is around $20.

5. Adamis Pharmaceuticals (not yet released)

Adamis Pharmaceuticals filed a New Drug Application with the FDA in 2014 which is still pending. If approved, the Epinephrine Pre-Filled Syringe would compete as a low-cost alternative to the anaphylaxis solutions.

6. Adrenacard (not yet released)

Adrenacard is a credit card shaped alternative which could fit into a wallet. They anticipate that the auto-injector could be available as soon as 2017.

7. Imprimis Pharmaceuticals (not yet released)

Known for their lifesaving $1 alternative to Daraprim, the AIDS medication that Shkreli made 5000% more expensive than its original cost, Imprimis Pharmaceuticals has been working on their alternative for a few years now. This alternative to the EpiPen would be customizable and compoundable,and cost less than $100. Their goal is to get this alternative on the market by the end of the year.

8. Teva Pharmaceuticals (not yet released)

Teva Pharmaceuticals is also working on an alternative to the EpiPen. Their solution is anticipated to release in 2017.

9. Windgap Medical (not yet released)

Windgap Medical is also working on an alternative to the EpiPen. Their solution, the Abiliject, is still pending for FDA approval, and would have a shelf life of several years rather than Mylan’s expiration date every 12 months.