6 Ways To Make Your Starbucks Order Healthier And Cheaper

Here are six simple ways to make your favorite Starbucks drink better for you and your wallet:

1. Become your own barista and build your latte.

Lattes can typically run anywhere from $4.00 and up. One easy solution to making your favorite latte cheaper AND healthier is by building your own lattes. Order a double or triple shot of espresso over ice (or hot, if preferred). The coffee bar has milk and all the fixings to make your espresso shots into a latte.

2. Ask for half the syrups/flavorings or substitute for sugar-free.

Most Starbucks stores carry a few different flavors of sugar-free syrups. These can include vanilla, cinnamon dolce, hazelnut, and even mocha. They taste just as yummy but shave off a lot of the sugar from your favorite drink! You can also opt to cut the amount of syrup they are putting in your drink simply by asking for two pumps instead of four pumps. The majority of the time your drink will taste just as delicious and help you cut down on unnecessary sugar.

3. Unsweeten those fruity teas.

Typically, Starbucks iced teas automatically come with classic syrup. These syrups and added sweeteners contribute unnecessary calories and sugar to your drink. By ordering unsweetened teas, you're cutting those calories and helping your body! If you're sweet tooth needs a sugar fix, ask for sugar-free.

4. Substitutes will be your new bestie.

Substitutes will be an absolute life-saver when you're trying to make your coffee-fix healthier! Most Starbucks' coffees automatically come with 2 percent milk. For only $0.60, you can substitute for a healthier option like coconut or almond milk. While this does add a few cents to your purchase, it makes all the difference. Non-fat milk is also a viable option that will help to cut those unnecessary calories!

5. Cut the sugar, sweetie.

Skip the whipped cream and ask for your drink to be "skinny" or "light." This will automatically customize your drink to a non-fat milk, no-whip drink that will significantly lower the unneeded calories. Ask for sugar-free and sweeten up your drink yourself by adding nutmeg, cinnamon, or cocoa from the coffee bar!

6. Sign up for Starbucks Rewards - (DUH!).

If you have not already done so, you are doing yourself a disservice! Starbucks reward members can get a selected menu option of free-refills (or refills that are under a dollar). These refills include some of their teas and hot brewed coffees. Starbucks also tracks how much you spend and totals it up for things like a free drink, lunch, or even a bag of whole-bean coffee.

Also, as a side note, Starbucks offers discounts if you bring a reusable cup to fill up with your favorite drink. 10 cents off every time can add up if your a fellow Starbucks addict. Time to save your wallet, your calories, and the planet.