8 Things To Do When Life Is A Little Too Much To Handle

Overcoming the Blues One Step At A Time

529
Alison Betts

We live in a fast-paced world full of everything good, bad, and ugly. We can't dodge it as well as we wish we could, but that's totally okay. Everyone deals with adversity differently, but when the dog days don't seem to be ending anytime soon, take a gander at some of the following points to help you put a little bit of pep in your step.

1. Make a list of the things that make you happy. If you're down in the dumps, it's a little harder to keep track of the positives. Start with the little things. Maybe you have a favorite pair of jeans that always come in clutch for you or a favorite place to go. There are a lot of things that we let slip past us. Do you like a certain recipe? What about your favorite movie or joke? Right down anything and everything on it's own note card or make an actual full list on a piece of paper (or multiple over time) and hang it up or put it somewhere that you frequent a lot. Sometimes we need a little reminder of the positives, and that's a-okay.

2. Go somewhere new. I know this won't be everyone's go-to option, but if you're someone who enjoys driving on a rough day, you may as well make an adventure out of it. Go to an ice cream shoppe you've never been to before. Find a place that makes a mean grilled cheese (or, cheese toasty, if that's your title preference). Any place that can give you a fresh breath of air and a new view is a bonus. Get out there.

3. Get some friends together and have a movie marathon. I'm well aware that life is a little busy so this may be harder to pull off, but quality time with your favorite people is essentially the best medicine we have. If you're like me, you rarely ever watch movies, but you know all of the ones to get the whole gang bonding. Whether you watch something you've seen a million times or a new movie, shifting your focus for a while is a good idea.

4. Volunteer at an animal shelter. I realize that animal allergies are, in fact, a real issue, but there's nothing better than helping out the smaller things in life that need a little loving. No matter what your past, present, or future holds, they'll still love you. Some are a little rough around the edges, but we all are.

5. Learn a new language. We live in a world of billions of people and they all have cool stories to tell, interesting hobbies, and dreams. You can find a new friend in some unexpected places, and it only goes up from there. Language barriers are an issue of the past.

6. Take a trip to a bookstore. Regardless of if the books are old or new, there are MILLIONS of different stories to read and parts of our history to learn. Not to mention, a good book can open you to a new outlook on life as well as distract you from the portions of life that are a little more overwhelming than usual. Knowledge is power. If you're lucky enough, maybe you can find a book club or an online discussion forum about different chapters that intrigued you. Heck, you could even start your own club. The opportunities are endless when you push yourself to make that first step.

7. Check out a ceramics painting facility. I am definitely not the best painter in the world, but it's soothing to add color to something that's blank. While some places don't have as many figurines available to jazz up as others, there are still plenty of interesting trinkets to take a gander at.

8. Call someone that you love. Phone home. It's as simple as that. Even the Grinch had people that loved him and were there for him. Someone is always willing to listen. There is always a person willing to talk about their own life to take your mind away from yours for a bit. What ever you can do to help you feel a little less overwhelmed is a good option to take.

Don't ever be afraid to admit that life is a little too loaded for you to handle right now.

I could make this list chalked full of ideas, but you probably don't want to spend an hour reading something that long. This is your life and you are valued. If you're down in the dumps, it's perfectly acceptable to slow down for a bit. Rollercoasters have to take a lengthy climb before they can take you to the fun part and show you the view. Keep on chugging, and things will fall into place eventually. Help and love your neighbor.

Hang in there, sport.