7 Things Volleyball Taught Me

7 Things Volleyball Taught Me

Facials aren't just something you get at the spa.

58
7 Things Volleyball Taught Me
Debbie Morgan

Almost all of my favorite memories from middle school and high school revolve around volleyball. This sport taught me so much about life and introduced me to people I'll cherish forever.

1. Teamwork makes the dream work.

You can't win without your teammates. You have to trust each other, depend on each other and lean on each other. Winning is a group effort, and one person can't do it alone. This doesn't just apply to volleyball. It applies to friendships, co-workers and family as well.

2. Sharing is caring.

You can't hog all three ball contacts. You let the libero pass the ball, setter set the ball and hitter kill the ball. You each have a unique skill set that brings something special to the team. Your job is to execute your task just as much as it is to back off when someone else can do it better.

3. Confidence is a major key.

You have to ignore the yelling and snide remarks from the bleachers and other side of the net. Once you stop believing in yourself and your team you might as well leave the gym because the game is over.

4. Your attitude can make you or break you.

If you step onto the floor knowing you are going to lose then odds are you're going to lose. If you step on the court thinking you have this game "in the bag", you won't take it seriously and probably struggle. Volleyball is a mental game just as much as it is physical. You have to keep your head in the right place.

5. Everything is as fun as you make it.

So what if the gym is too hot or the tournament doesn't have good food? You can only be a part of this team for 4 years and you need to enjoy every second of it. Go play games outside on breaks and make your parents go buy you greasy food. Some of my favorite memories were outside of a gym where 80 degrees seemed cool.

6. Bus rides make you stronger.

The bus is where inside jokes are made. You take pictures of each other sleeping, bond with the older girls and talk about your day. I could always tell if we were going to have a good game based on the bus ride to the game.

7. There is no love like teammate love.

It has been four years since I played volleyball with my teammates but I'd still do anything for them. Spending your afternoons and weekends with a group of people who share the same passion as you automatically makes you friends.

This one goes out to all my Warren County volleyball girls-past, present and future. Semper Fi.