8 Reasons Why You Should Vote On Election Day

Because the power rests in the hands of the people like you and me

121
Saatchi Art

The 2016 presidential election season has been one for the record books for numerous reasons, and it seems as though the fun has only just begun. In the final weeks leading up to Election Day in November, we will see the political candidates continue to debate and rally to try to win the support of the voters. When it comes down to it, the power is in our hands.

The power is in the hands of the millions of U.S. citizens who hold the right to cast their vote for the next president of the United States in just a few short weeks. During the first presidential debate last week, Hillary Clinton stated, “I support our democracy… I hope the people out there understand this election’s really about you and the kind of country and future you want.” And whether you support her, or Donald Trump, or any other candidate, what she said should remind me, and you, and every eligible voter, that the task at hand come November is simply this: cast your vote. Here are 8 reasons why you should exercise your right to vote this November:

1. It is your duty to your country, a right stated by the Constitution.

2. It is a right that generations of Americas fought to win, that people in other countries are still fighting for.

3. More rests on the election than just who will be the next President; the choice for who will sit in the Oval Office is not the only choice on the ballot.

4. If you vote, you can justify complaining if the candidate you did not like wins.

5. Every vote, even for a third party, has an impact.

6. The higher the turnout at the polls, the greater the representation of the democracy in this country.

7. The margin of victory can make a difference.

8. Voting is your voice, and no matter who or what you decide to vote, that voice deserves to be heard.

At the end of the first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, they were each asked, "Will the candidates accept the results of the election as the will of the voters?" And the responses were as follows:

"I certainly will support the outcome of this election." - Hillary Clinton
"If she wins, I will absolutely support her." - Donald Trump

Answers that hopefully display the level of respect that each candidate has for the United States democracy, and the power and choice of the people as a whole.

Mark your calendars, do your research, and get to the voting polls!