8 Questions College Kids Don't Want To Answer Over The Holidays

It's been a long semester, only easy questions please.

99
Buzzfeed

Ah, the first long break of the school year. It is the holiday season and college kids all across the country are eagerly anticipating reuniting with family and friends over the holidays. However, we are all anxiously avoiding the dreaded rapid-fire questions that come fuming from every family member around the table. This holiday season, show some love on us college kids and avoid asking these questions.

1) How's school going?

Save us the hassle of reminiscing on overdue papers and quickly approaching finals. Instead, ask what our favorite part of the school is, or something simple. Let me rephrase to ensure complete understanding --- do not, under any circumstance, bring up the topic of schoolwork over break.

2) Have you found a boyfriend/girlfriend yet?

Moving to college and finding "the one" within three months is seriously something that only happens in movies. So no, I haven't found a boyfriend. Ask me again at Christmas and I can assure you my answer will not have changed.

3) What are you studying there?

I don't really mind people asking this one, but I feel silly when it's hard to explain or if we aren't sure we even want to stick with the major.

4) What kind of career will you get?

Honestly I'm just trying to find a job I love that makes enough money for me to afford my extremely overpriced lifestyle.

5) Have you found a job/internship for this summer yet?

Well, I'm in the process of getting a summer job, but you see, they are kind of hard to find. If only I could start my interviews with "help me, I'm poor" and they would automatically hand me the paperwork.

6) How are your grades this semester?

D's get degrees, am I right?

7) What have you been up to?

Chicken nuggets and ice cream consume a college kids life. If we aren't eating, we probably are watching Netflix, which I assume are not the answers you were looking for, so just don't ask.

8) Why don't you come home more often?

Seriously though, if you saw how much money my parents pay for me to live there, you'd understand why I stay at school. Plus, all the fun happens on weekends, so don't expect us to want to leave then.

We love that you care, but nobody wants to answer the hard questions when we are home on break. Try asking us about the food at the dining halls; I'll be more than happy to talk all about chicken nugget Thursdays or the tater tots at brunch on Sunday. Ask about the atmosphere, how friendly everyone is, and I'll ecstatically share that my school is the happiest place on earth. But please, do us all a favor and stray away from the big adult questions, because we probably don't even have the answer to those yet. If you cannot think of an easy question, shove turkey in your mouth and refrain. Don't worry, I have no problem making conversation if you can't.