8 Places To Study On Kentucky's Campus

8 Places To Study On Kentucky's Campus

"Study Grind"

174
8 Places To Study On Kentucky's Campus
staticflickr.com

As much as I hate to admit it, Christmas break will soon be over and classes will resume in full swing. There are things that make the semester great, including basketball games, parties and living with your best friends. There is always something to do, but you always have 1,000 things to do as well. As much fun as college is, there is no getting around studying, and we all know that studying can be a drag, but it is something we all have to power through. Where you study, in my experience, can make all the difference. I hate studying in my room, and there are even studies showing studying in your bed can have negative effects. Studying in my living room or dining room is not much better for me either, I easily get distracted by the TV or my roommates. I have a much more difficult time focusing at home than when I am out at my favorite study locations. If you attend The University of Kentucky this semester, be sure to try studying at these places that call Lexington, Kentucky home.

1. William T. Young Library.

AKA Willy T. This is an obvious choice, being the library of the University, but it is an awesome place to study. It took me a few years to get on board with Willy T., but once I finally tried the comfy chairs and went back into the quiet section, it sold me. I've gotta say, this place is a good place to go if you're wanting to buckle down and get work done. Open 24 hours a day, you do not have to worry about packing up and going home in the middle of a study session. Plus it is easy to get to if you live on campus, and it is one of the largest libraries in the nation.

2. Common Grounds.

This is my go to place. I'd be lying if I said I didn't buy myself $20 worth of gift cards during the holidays because then I got a free coffee. I love coming here, and it is a tough call but I've gotta say this place is my favorite to spend my study session. It embodies a warm and cozy atmosphere that feels "homey." I love going because I can cuddle up in a comfy chair and get to business. The coffee, treats, and food are wonderful. This has become a place I like to hang out at just to spend the day, but it is an excellent study place to get on your study grind.

3 Lucille Caudill Little Fine Arts Library.

The Lucille library is also located on Kentucky's campus and it is a gem of a place to study. It is small, making it difficult to find a place if it is dead week, but the rest of the semester you're good to go. This place is centrally located and you are sure to be able to make your brain larger and smarter while you're there.

4. Gatton College of Business and Economics.

You might wonder why you should study here, as it is a classroom building on campus, but after the remodel, this place is hard to beat. Gatton is truly a beautiful building. I know plenty of people who have never taken a business or economics class in their life but they religiously go here to get their studying underway.

5. Third Street Coffee & Stuff.

This coffee shop is beautifully unique. It's bright and inviting, and you cannot help but be filled with cheer when you even reach the parking lot of this little shop. They have loads of picnic seating, making it perfect when the weather is nice, but there is a generous amount of seating inside as well. You can't leave this place in a bad mood. It is full of quirky little gifts and yummy drinks and food. This is my go to place when I know I need to get to down to business. I don't know what it is about Third Street, but when you are there you feel like you can accomplish anything you set your mind to, making it the perfect place to study.

6. Starbucks.

Living in Lexington there is certainly no shortage of Starbucks. There are even several on campus, along with tons scattered across the city. Plus, the University of Kentucky has the largest Starbucks on any college campus conveniently located inside of Willy T. along with plentiful seating. If you get sick of being in the library, just move yourself and your studying on over to Starbucks for a change of scenery.

7. Coffee Times Coffee House.

Coffee Times is another pearl coffee house in Lexington. Connected to a vintage shop and equipped with its own little gift shop, this is a fabulous place to study. Seating can be limited, so early bird gets the worm, but you're going to want to spend at least one rainy day here studying.

8. Your friend's house.

Sometimes just getting out of your own house or dorm is enough. If you do not want to go to a typical study place, then just getting into a new environment can be all you need. You might get distracted a little more easily, but hey, sometimes the distraction is really all you need.