8 Moments To Look Forward To Each Day

8 Moments To Look Forward To Each Day

For each day we should be inherently grateful.

21
8 Moments To Look Forward To Each Day

Most days we wake up and go to sleep without much recognition towards the things that make each day special. Moments that we may look or listen but don’t really hear or see them. Each day is a gift, though some may not feel that way. As a college student, all I want to do is finish my studying/homework before the sun shows itself on the horizon again. I’ve cycled myself into this routine of just wishing to go back to sleep after my alarm goes off in the morning. I attend all of my classes, remind myself to eat and then spend my evenings studying for the class I had that day and will have the next. By the time I am able to lay down in my bed, my brain is running around and around and around, so much so that sleeping seems impossible, and it was the only thing I was looking forward to doing after finishing 4+ hours of Statistics and Anatomy.

Realizing this is not the best way to go about life, I made a list of 8 moments to look for in each day, hoping that each night before I can finally fall asleep again, I will be able to recall that I encountered each one, and took note of it. My hope I that this little task will assist me in slowing down enough to actually sleep through the night, and give me a perspective of the life I should be inherently grateful.

Here are the eight moments.

1. The Alarm

For me, this is a tough one. I used to think getting out of bed was the worst thing to happen to me. Now obviously, many things are worse than putting your feet to the floor in the morning. Hopefully, I able to get myself to a place where I can wake up and say “This day is going to be great, I am happy to be up.”

2. The Smiles

At the end of the day, I like to think that all that matters in life is happiness. It doesn't matter if you're smart or rich, have a huge house or 3 cars. What matters are the things that genuinely make you smile, like other people smiling. I bet you'd be surprised if you kept track of every single smile you saw, and each one you had yourself. Taking the time to remember why you smile is a good step towards smiling more.

3. The Knowledge

School isn't the only place you can find knowledge. Sure, school gives you knowledge in form of reading books, note-taking during lectures and studying for exams, but the everyday conversations you have with others can sometimes grant more knowledge. I'm very thankful to be able to study at university, some people don't even get that option, but I also love how knowledge learned outside of the classroom can be more meaningful. Taking note of these nuggets of wisdom enables you to be able to share it with someone else someday.

4. The Food

Normally we say we're hungry and then scarf down the first thing we can get our hands on. Most times we don't even fully enjoy the process of eating. What's the point of fueling your body if you don't take the time to appreciate what is fueling it. Recently I have realized how much I took not having to buy my own groceries for granted. I love to cook for myself, but I definitely don't enjoy buying it the food I am cooking. I should be thankful and realize that I have the privilege of both buying and cooking food for myself.

5. The People

I'm very lucky to have a group of people to turn to in any situation. My college experience has been chock-full of amazing human beings. I realize this now as I'm writing, but I do not give them enough appreciation daily, to let them know that there would be no one for me to be thankful for if it was not for them.

6. The Memories

There is no way to remember every second of everyday of your life. The memories that we cherish most are the ones we think about often. I hope that I can at least try to pick out a moment in the day that could turn into a long-term memory. What would we have if we didn't have memories?

7. The Moon

The other night when I looked up while driving, the moon seemed to be one of the most beautiful things I had ever laid my eyes on. The universe is an incredible thing, and it really puts life into perspective.

8. The Love

Moments of love fall into many categories. Love can be reading a text, heard in laughter, felt with the embrace of a hand and seen in people. There are obvious places and ways to notice love in your day, but the little things, like a reassuring look, sometimes mean the most. Pinpointing a special moment in each day where you felt love, I believe, wraps you in comfort and permits a good nights sleep .