8 Pet Peeves That Drive College Students Insane

Some things people do on campus just really get on your nerves.

198

College is about discovering who you are. You're exposed to new people and cultures that you've never encountered before. If you're like me, you love learning about different parts of the world and how they're different from where I grew up. It can be eye opening, good and bad, to be around new people. Sometimes, you realize things some things bother you a lot more than you thought they did.

1. People who don't know how to walk

This is the worst. The people who walk about a mile an hour and like they have all the time in the world really upset me. They might not have anywhere to be soon, but I sure do. Most of the time it's because they're on their phone. It's even worse when they're in the middle of the sidewalk, and when you try to go around them, they naturally migrate towards that side. There's no getting past them.

2. People who don't know basic door etiquette

There are so many occasions when I get frustrated with doors and people. I come from a place where it's just natural to hold the door if there's someone walking behind me. It's so aggravating being directly behind someone and having them go right through the doors without looking back, especially when they lock and you then have to scramble to get your key out. It's also irritating when you obviously hold the door for someone and they go through the one right next to you. There's also the awkward moment when you're going through the door and someone coming the other direction tries to squeeze through at the same time. There are other doors, and I promise they work the same.

3. The technologically challenged

As millennials, we get it. Not everyone grew up with technology, but it's not a new concept. It's really frustrating when some people don't even know how to open a powerpoint file or sometimes turn the computer on.

4. Waiting for grades

Waiting for a certain grade, especially an exam, to be posted can feel like a lifetime. It's awful when you're told, "They'll be in the grade book by Friday night" yet it's Sunday evening and they're still not in there.

5. Excessive noise

It's always amazing being able to find the perfect, quiet study area. You can finally sit down and be productive, but it always seems like someone has to come along and ruin that. They're either on the phone or they come in with a group of friends, but they're obnoxiously loud. No, it's not like I have work or anything else to focus on. There's also the people who "whisper" in class, but you can hear them way in the back from the front and they distract you. If you want to talk and not listen to the professor, why did you come?

6. PDA

PDA has always bothered me a little bit, but it's become more of an annoyance since being in college. It seems like some couples cannot keep their hands off of each other. There's even those couples who hold hands in their coat pockets during the winter, which I personally think is a little excessive. Usual hand holding and hugging is okay, but no one wants to see you inappropriately grabbing each other or making out. I promise you will survive without being all over each other between classes.

7. Professors using the excuse "I didn't have time."

Professors using the excuse "I didn't have time" makes me so livid. I'm sorry, but I make time for your class and to make sure the assignments are done on time. The least you can do is make sure you do the same for me.

8. Being asked for help.

It's not that I mind being asked for help at all. I love helping others when I get the chance. It just bothers me when someone asks me for help on an assignment when I know that they haven't tried to find the answer themselves. It's not doing either of us any good if I'm just giving you the answers.

In the end, just be aware of your actions because sometimes they do disturb others. Try to be respectful to those around you and help them have a better day as I'm sure all of us know, college is rough anyway.