7 Toys That Were Trendy Before Fidget Spinners

Our previous toy obsessions.

938
Daily Bruin

If you have any social media account that you've checked in 2017 you've probably seen an ad, video or image of people playing with the trendy new device the fidget spinner. The fidget spinner is a device that spins remotely from two buttons. The manufacturers say the spinners are meant to decrease symptoms of anxiety, ADHD, and autism. While there is no scientific evidence to prove that they work, it seems like they're just a simple, addictive toy that distracts you for a certain amount of time. Any distraction can get rid of stress.

These spinners have become so famous that they are all across social media and that made me think of the other little toys that kids became obsessed with throughout time. Let's take a trip down memory lane and see if spinners are the best or if we had the right idea years ago.

1. Silly Bandz

The rubber bands shaped liked various animals! These things were everywhere if I walked into Walmart, CVS, or Walgreens I saw a sign for them. All of my friends had these, wore a bunch on their wrist and would trade different ones between each other to have every animal. I can admit to getting bored in class, looking at my silly bands and playing with them.

2. Tech decks

These are the toys I never understood. Guys would go crazy going to the store to get the sets for these little desk skateboards. People bought mini supply kits to repair wheels and ramps to "fingerboard" on as well.

3. The Plastic Lace Keychains/Lanyards

No one knows the exact name for these things, but every recognizes the once famous phrase that went along with them "Can you start it off for me." These plastic strings were mostly tied into a decoration for keychains or sometimes just a competition between friends to see who can make the longest one. These stayed around for a short period because my school banned them for being a distraction in class.

4. Gak

Slime in all forms is coming back full force on social media, but the original of all things slimy and sticky is Gak. What made this toy famous and annoying was the notorious fart noise it made when you stuck your hand in the cup.

5. Slap bracelets

Why we thought to hit ourselves repeatedly to put on a bracelet or watch was entertaining I'll never understand. These were the highlight of childhood past time because while you said you were putting the bracelet on someone else the off chance just to slap them made it that much better.

6. Sticky slap on gel hands

These weird gelatin yo-yos were fun for about an hour before they got covered in gross stuff and were no longer sticky. While their lifespan wasn't too lengthy the amount of enjoyment we got seemed never ending, and we kept buying more.

7. Baldeez

I can't remember anyone even knowing the proper name to these pop-up toys. I've heard everything from pop-its to snaps, but apparently, Baldeez is the name of the toys that bounced their way to the ceiling in my school and many others. What sounds more fun than a bald figure that bounces six feet in the air on impact, nothing that's what.

Bonus: Beyblades

The original version of today's fidget spinners, Beyblades had our hearts for a while. These plastic tops featured several interchangeable parts and characters with names like Drago, Storm Pegasus, and Dark Wolf.

In all, while the trend may seem annoying now fidget spinners will be gone before we know it and soon something else will be able to grab the attention of kids.