7 Tips For Dating An Athlete From A Non-Athletic Perspective

Dating an athlete can be difficult, especially if you aren't athletic.

3611
Wyoming Medical Center

Dating an athlete can be tough, especially if you do not play sports yourself.

After talking to numerous couples where either one or both partners are athletes, a few things were repeated and emphasized that were important to one another, Especially during season.

Here are 7 useful tips for dating an athlete even when you are not one.

1. Attending the games, tournaments, and award ceremonies are a MUST. This is one of the best ways to show you support them.

2. Acquiring some knowledge of the sport will help you understand the struggles and triumphs that they may face. It will also be easier to talk about it if it becomes a topic of conversation, which is often if it's a sport they are passionate about. It will also help you figure out what's going on when you go and watch them.

3. You are now their personal Masseuse. They will always be sore, so get your fingers ready for daily massages and ice packs. It's a good bonding experience as well!

4. Stay strong no matter the circumstances. There will be many injuries, hospital visits, and concussions depending on the sport. Though they are hurt, you will have to be strong for them because it hurts them more seeing you in pain then the pain they feel. Most will not want to be babied to much during their healing processes, so refrain from being overprotective. They know their limits, most of the time.

5. Get used to sweat and smells. They will be doing intense workouts, attending long practices, and will wear their favorite shorts or spandex to every game. They may not smell great but love them for them and if it bothers you that much, offer to do laundry sometime; It will be much appreciated.

6. Food is a great gift after practices and games. Who doesn't love food! This is a small gesture that will be extremely appreciated. Sports like Wrestling where they have to maintain and watch their weight requires a more intense diet, but small candies like Jolly Ranchers and drinks like Pedialyte for their match days will go along way for them.

7. Time is Precious. Don't waste moments together complaining about how much time they spend on their sports and working out. They would love to be able to relax and spend all day with you but they are committed to their sport as well. Maybe working out with them or planning things to do on their off days will ease the stress on the relationship.

Dating an athlete can be easy or difficult, depending on the sport, the person, and the dynamic of the relationship. It is inspiring watching your partner excel and grow in their sport, and it feels even better when you are apart of it.

So stay strong and have a happy season with the person you love!