7 Things You Need To Know Before Getting An English Bulldog

English Bulldogs are a difficult breed to train at times, but they truly make the best company.

9844
Marta Rigstad

Up until I was a freshman in high school, I only ever had labs as a family dog. I loved big dogs, and I never would have imagined having another type of dog. But a few years ago, my family decided to get a very different and unique breed of dog: an English Bulldog. I was unsure at first how I would feel about having a small dog that was so unlike any other pet we ever had, but now I can't imagine life without our little Mabel. I have learned a lot about English Bulldogs as a breed, and while they are definitely adorable, there is a lot to know about them before making the decision to get one.

1. Bulldogs are very high-maintenance

Bulldogs require a lot of medical attention, and often, their owners have to perform hygiene and healthcare tasks daily. Mabel gets her face cleaned almost daily and special powder helps prevent infections. Bulldogs are expensive to buy and keep healthy, but it is worth it.

2. They are incredibly stubborn

Once a Bulldog sets their mind to doing something, there is nothing or nobody that can change their minds. Bulldogs will try to fit themselves into way too small of spaces, try to eat something that should not be eaten or become determined to destroy something that their owners do not want destroyed.

3. They snore and snort loudly

When Bulldogs sleep they snore louder than you would ever think. Their bodies are so small and dense, but their respiratory system causes them to have issues breathing, which then causes snoring and snorting. If you are looking for a dog you can sleep with, do not get an English Bulldog because their snoring will keep you up all night.

4. They are dependable and loyal

Bulldogs can be very protective of their families, and they are incredibly loyal to their owners. Bulldogs will bark if they feel intimidated or threatened. Mabel gets scared of almost everything, but I like to think she does it because she wants to protect us.

5. They are regular nap-takers

Mabel likes to take at least two naps a day. Bulldogs get tired very easily from simple tasks such as eating and walking around for a little bit. Giving Bulldogs a nice, comfy bed to take countless naps in is essential to them being happy.

6. They can be energetic

Similier to other breeds of dogs, English Bulldogs as puppies can be very energetic. Eventually, they grow out of their "puppy stage" and begin to calm down, but for some reason, my Bulldog still acts like a puppy. She is three but she acts like she is a few months old. She loves to sleep and be lazy, but every dog is different and has a varying energy level.

7. English Bulldogs make the cutest puppies

English Bulldogs are without a doubt the cutest puppies I have ever seen. Their wrinkles and short legs are so silly looking yet adorable. If you are looking for a precious little ball of fur that has a personality of a human, English Bulldogs are the perfect dog for you!