Why Basset Hounds Are The Best Dogs Ever

I love my floppy-eared goober!
648

Of the hundreds of dog breeds in the world, my favorite, by far is the basset hounds. However, they are only the 39th most popular dog in America in 2015, according to the American Kennel Club. What’s not to love about these floppy-eared, droopy-eyed cuddle monsters. Sure, they have their flaws, like carrying their hunt to you like a prize, but details, shmetails! My dog’s name is Starbuck (yes, like the coffee shop), and he is the greatest little blessing in my life. If you are considering adopting a basset, but aren’t a hundred percent sure if they are the dogs for you, take a gander at what it’s like to live with a basset hound:

They may be fat, but man, can they run!

Everyone who has seen my Bucky-dog assumes he is just a lazy dog who does nothing. That’s only half true. It’s true that when we go on walks, he sometimes has a tendency to stop dead in his tracks and roll over on his back (this is why I always carry a cell phone with me when we walk), but is also very agile. Starbuck and most other bassets are surprising energetic. In retrospect, it probably shouldn’t surprise us. Basset hounds were bred to be hunting dogs, but their heavy-set bodies and short legs make us think otherwise. Most bassets are down for a came of fetch, playing tug-of-war, or running around at the dog park.

They are great hunting companions.

Like I said before, these dogs were bred for hunting centuries ago in France. Their low-to-the-ground bodies allow them to be as close to the scent of prey as possible. They have amazing senses of smell, and their long, droopy ears are great for picking up the scents of animals.

Their temperament is probably one of the bests you can have in a dog.

These dogs are great for all kinds of lifestyles. They are amazing with kids, families, college students, etc. I use my puppy as a pillow every time I see him. They are also really attentive. They seem to know when you are in pain. My pup kissed my cheeks after I got my wisdom teeth out, and it made me feel a lot better. However, they can be VERY stubborn. Sometimes, it’s like talking to a toddler. It can require some patience when dealing with their shenanigans.

They can live practically everywhere.

Although it is more ideal that they live in a place with plenty of room to run, bassets can gladly live anywhere. As long as they have a partner-in-crime, they’re content. Also, as they get older, they do tend to develop hip dysplasia and arthritis, so it may be ideal to not have as many stairs or have a small ramp built in.

They’re clumsy.

I remember the first time I saw my baby. He had been neglected and was covered with fleas (to the point where we could see them hopping from his black coat). He was only three months at the time, and we were luring him downstairs to the laundry room to wash him in the sink. He got down maybe five stairs before tripping on his ears, and almost falling halfway down the stairs. Although a really scary sight, that has basically become our whole lives, just sitting there watching our clumsy basset falling all over himself, day in and day out.

They’re ears are really fun to play with.

Sometimes, when I’m bored, I tie his ears together above his head with a ribbon. He looks like a big ol’ bunny rabbit

They’re cuddle bugs!

Whenever I come home to visit, I get mobbed before I can even get in the door. We can struggle anywhere: on the floor, on the couch, in the grass. It doesn’t matter. Basset hounds can be little attention hogs. They seek affection and love to snuggle. If you’re someone who is rarely around, a basset hound may not be the best dog for you.

I love my goober dog. He is such a little angel in my life. I hope that others see the sweetness that basset hounds have. If you're interested in adopting a basset hound, check out your local animal shelter!