7 Tattoos to Get to Remember Someone Lost to Suicide

They will never be forgotten.

44450
Bunga Istyani

Tattoos are the most personal art pieces we put on display for ourselves and everyone around us. They can be used to represent a special time in our lives, a place we visited, or a loved one. The semi-colon tattoo recently grew to popularity, helping people recognize the stigma behind mental health and mental illnesses. It's never easy to lose a loved one, but losing someone to suicide is a pain like no other. I have a suicide awareness tattoo to remind myself that there are people all around me constantly battling with their darkest thoughts. I lost a childhood friend to suicide this past Valentine's Day and think about him every time I look at my tattoo. Here are a few tattoo ideas to permanently remember someone who is no longer here because of suicide.

If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, please call a crisis or suicidal hotline, such as 1-800-273-8255. You are not alone.

1. Semi-Colon

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2F22%2F636127396464615434-817481349_semicolon-tattoo-thumb-3-b2280db1eac370fba0001c83e97c1913.jpg&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=767&h=22bc8a3271852719f1705c6795b19d772296574298326bd2bfed63b2c2c1c966&size=980x&c=3636858656 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F10%252F22%252F636127396464615434-817481349_semicolon-tattoo-thumb-3-b2280db1eac370fba0001c83e97c1913.jpg%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D767%26h%3D22bc8a3271852719f1705c6795b19d772296574298326bd2bfed63b2c2c1c966%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3636858656%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]

This little tattoo has a big meaning. The semi-colon in a grammatical sense represents a sentence that could've ended, but continued. This tattoo could be used to show support of those who are currently struggling with depression, anxiety, or self-harm and how they should continue to keep going despite their struggles. It's also a common tattoo to represent suicide prevention.

2. Keep Fighting

This tattoo would not only encourage others who see the tattoo to keep fighting, but yourself as well. It could be in remembrance of someone who lost their fight, or it could be for someone who is continuing to fight against their inner and/or outer demons.

3. Warrior

This tattoo serves as a reminder that someone fought a tough battle. The emotions, events, and mental health stigma that could precede a suicide are not easy to deal with. Whether someone won or lost their battle, they should be recognized as a warrior.

4. Person's Name

There's nothing more personal than getting someone's name tattooed on you. When it comes to a sad situation like this, it's even more personal and the love for that lost one really does go skin deep.

5. Person's Birthday

Yet another personal reminder of someone who is no longer with us. This is a simple, yet touching way to remember and celebrate someone's life from the very beginning.

6. Suicide Ribbon

This ribbon symbolizes the love and respect to all of those who are currently fighting against suicidal thoughts and those who died due to suicide. This ribbon typically symbolizes suicide awareness. I have a yellow bow on my wrist as my own personal variation of this ribbon.

7. Hope

This tattoo is for hope; hope that no one else loses themself to this mental sickness and hope that those who are gone because of suicide are in a better place.