7 Reasons A Music Festival Should Be On Your Summer Bucket List

A great way to let your inner freak fly

2
Clara Howell

3:30 p.m. Blades of grass tickle your palm as you lean back, soaking in the sun and every musical note amplified by the vast sound system.

8 p.m. Thousands of hands wave high, while calves tense with each jump; confetti rains down on the crowd as cheers are heard over the bass.

9:15 p.m. Someone to your left high fives you, another person screams in your ear as they sprint ahead of you, jumping on their friend's back.

9:18 p.m. You hear the sound of a band you haven't heard before and with each eager skip, you take your friends hand and dance-walk your way to the crowd over at a different stage.

Imagine.

Music festivals, especially ones held during summer, are a wonderful way to let your spirit roam and your mind get lost in the open air. While many people have gone and experienced a music festival at least once in their lifetime, many are hesitant.

"It's too loud," they say. "I hate germs," they say. "It's too expensive," they say. Yes, it may be loud and slightly dirty, but these lame excuses are a load of crap. And after reading these seven reasons why everyone should cross music festival off their summer bucket list, I hope people will give it a try.

1. Disconnect

Forget the cellphone. Heck, disconnect from everything back home. Leave your family, friends and responsibilities behind. If you're like me, go to a music festival in Canada where you're forced to put your phone on airplane mode. What better way to focus on the beautiful talent right in front of you?

2. Get ya' freak on

Whether you're a head bobber, a swayer or a raver, let your body do the dancing for you. Glance around, it's hilarious. Everyone lets themselves go, so you should too.

3. Come together

The people -- enough said. Humans are meant to be amongst other humans and when you put people together in the most care-free, fun environment, everyone is so friendly it's unbelievable. It doesn't matter where you come from, what you like to do in your free time or what your name is, the bonds and memories shared with the people is almost as special as the music.

4. Let your spirit free

You will lose yourself here. Not in a lost way, but your spirit will detach and vanish in the present moment. Paint your face, throw on your crazy festival attire and get in touch with your inner self. Remember, no one is judgmental and no one cares.

5. Nature's stage

If you like beautiful views and being outdoors, most music festivals are held in breathtaking sites. The venues are often surrounded by mountains or they are in open-hilly areas. It's a great way to catch a glimpse of a gorgeous sunset or sunrise.

Nature and the festival vibes allow you to be leisure. Rise and shine at 6 a.m. to watch the sun unfold right before your eyes, crack a beer at 10 a.m. or brew some coffee on your portable stove at 2 p.m. The world is yours. Well, for a few days at least.

6. Do it differently

Attending a music festival does not have to cost hundreds of dollars. If you want in on a secret, that's not so secret, i'll give it away. Volunteer! Volunteering either before, during or after the festival is a great way to receive a free ticket and awesome perks. Who wouldn't want better camping options, nicer toilet facilities and the chance to be a part of creating this wonderful experience for thousands?

7. The shenanigans

I dare you to try and attend a music festival and come back with no stories. Between the people you meet, the artists you hear and the crazy nights you encounter, I guarantee your disposable camera pictures will surprise you and you will be able to see the jealousy arise in your friends' eyes when they ask the simple question: how was it?