7 Reasons To Visit Captiva Island

7 Reasons To Visit Captiva Island

All the reasons why your next vacation destination should be Captiva Island, Florida.

177
7 Reasons To Visit Captiva Island
Lea Warren

In south Florida on the western coast, there's a little island called Captiva. Many people have never heard of it or its sister island, Sanibel, though the latter is a bit more well-known. The former, in its relative anonymity, has remained a haven of tropical bliss, free from the touristy feel of many other Florida beaches.

I myself have been visiting this little island every year at least once a year for the better part of 17 years. Having just returned last night, I write this as I sit on my couch, browned and exhausted, and suffering more than a little bit of Post-Captiva-Depression. So, to help myself muddle through the strange homesickness I'm feeling for a place away from home, I am delivering this article to the hands of readers, so you all too can enjoy the beauty of the beach and then can suffer missing it along with me when that one short visit has ended. The next time you feel the need for a vacation, choose Captiva, because...

1. It's a tropical island.

Need I say more? There's sand, clear water, sun and palm trees swaying in the ocean breeze. Who doesn't love that?

2. It's an international shelling destination.

Have you ever been shelling? If so, then you may have become addicted to the wonderful treasure hunt that is waiting along the shore. If you haven't, then Captiva offers the chance to have an amazing first experience that will get you hooked on the activity. On my most recent trip, I found upwards of 40 whole sand dollars, around 20 conch shells, and countless other rare shells with much more obscure names and appearances.

3. There are several relatively uninhabited islands north of Captiva that are just waiting to be explored.

Just across a little pass opening the bay to the Gulf, you can see North Captiva, a lovely and wild extension of the quaint Captiva. Whether you travel there to shell on the untouched beaches or fish off the rocks overlooking the deep ocean pass, North Captiva is an amazing destination that can only be reached by boat from Captiva. Beyond North Captiva, you hit Cayo Costa, another relatively undeveloped island where the ocean tides create incredible sandbars, tidal pools and little salt water streams cutting through the middle of the island, only to disappear forever with the changing of the tides in the afternoon.

4. The fishing is amazing.

Whether you bring your own boat, rent one for the trip or go out for the day with a guide, you are guaranteed to find the fish, from snook and mackerel to trout and snapper.

5. World class sunsets.

Not only are the sunsets over the water and filled with the most incredible colors imaginable, but if you are lucky, you might also catch sight of the fabled green flash, which Captiva is famous for. There's even a restaurant named after it.

6. Poor cell reception.

Sounds like a negative at first maybe, but in truth it is the best thing ever. You don't have to worry about breaking down and checking your email or your voice messages or your bazillion texts because you probably can't. It's an amazing excuse to put down your phone, forget the outside world and just enjoy your vacation for once. No work, no interruptions, just fun.

7. There is always something to do.

Beach, pool, boating, tanning, eating out, shopping on Sanibel, fishing, shelling, kayaking, paddle boarding, snorkeling, searching for manatees, visiting the Ding Darling Nature reserve, watching the thunderstorms over the bay in the evenings, reading a book on the beach, drinking piña coladas, flying kites, exploring the islands, watching the sunset, bird watching... There's always something amazing waiting for you when you wake up each morning.

Captiva is a very unique experience, and it is truly a little bit of paradise. It's been 17 years and I still can't wait for my next visit, and am already planning it despite the fact that I arrived home less than 12 hours ago. If you have the chance, then visit this incredible little place and experience this amazing vacation that has captivated me for so long.