7 People Who Aren't Colin Kaepernick That Actually Deserve Citizen Of The Year

Disrespecting the American flag doesn't make you Citizen of the Year.

129
The Nation

Men's fashion magazine GQ recently unveiled their newest issue featuring their Citizen of the Year. Their citizen of choice, Colin Kaepernick, the disrespectful and less than superb NFL quarterback. GQ called Kaepernick "the man who became a movement" claiming he had been "vilified by millions and locked out of the NFL." Here's the thing, he vilified himself, lost sponsorships and reduced viewers of NFL games. Another point, he didn't get locked out of the NFL. He chose to leave the 49ers and can't get signed by another team because, plain and simple, no one wants him and his attitude problems.

If GQ wants to continue with their "Citizen of the Year" honor, they should look into these 7 people who actually deserve it.

1. JJ Watt

After Hurricane Harvey completely destroyed Houston, JJ Watt, defensive end for the Houston Texans, stepped in to raise over $37 million. He also partnered with Feeding America, SBP, Save the Children and AmeriCares. Watt promised to "rebuild homes, restore childcare centers and afterschool programs, and provide food and medical services" for those affected by Harvey.

2. P.K. Subban

P.K. Subban took a stance against kneeling and protests during NHL games, deciding not to kneel . While Subban has always kept personal opinions out of sports, he has also made strides towards cancer research. Prior to being traded to the Nashville Predators, P.K. Subban pledged to donate $10 million to childhood cancer research and continues to uphold that promise

3. Vegas First Responders

On October 1st, Stephen Paddock opened fire into a crowd of over 22,000 people, killing 58 people and injuring 546 others. SWAT teams, medics, and other first responders combed the crowd for the injured and dead, hoping to bring them to safety. People waited over six hours in the following days to donate blood. What the first responders saw is something they will never be able to forget, but they still chose to push through and protect anyone who needed it that night.

4. Stephen Willeford and Johnnie Langendorff

When tragedy strikes small towns, usually the perpetrator and victims are the names that are shared. However, when Devin Kelley opened fire on a small Texas church, Stephen Willeford and Johnnie Langendorff risked their lives in attempts to stop Kelley . During the chase, Kelley veered off the road and crashed his vehicle. There was backlash on Willeford and Langendorff regarding the possessions of their guns, but in the end, they helped scare off a shooter and prevented more deaths and injuries inside the church.

5. Jimmy Kimmel

Jimmy Kimmel has always shared the comedic side of political aggravation and just how funny those "mean tweets" about celebrities can be. Kimmel has also never been afraid to share his true feelings. Following the Vegas tragedy, Kimmel made an emotional and desperate plea for gun control. Despite being harassed and mocked online for being a "crybaby," Kimmel showing emotion has helped break the 'tough guy' stereotype so many men are forced to follow. It's frowned upon for a man to cry in public because they're "crybabies," but in reality, men are humans and humans were designed to feel and express emotions.

6. First Responders

First responders all across the country are sacrificing their lives every day so we can get home safely. Whether it's triage at a mass shooting, stopping a bank robbery, or showing up at an elementary school to show young children cop cars and fire trucks, their efforts should never go unnoticed. Yes, there are good cops and bad cops, but unfortunately, the good cops aren't as publicized as the bad cops. It's so important to take time to thank the police officers, EMTs, and firefighters who make sure we all get home safely at the end of the day.

7. The Military

There was a time when entire towns would close to host Veterans Day and Memorial Day parades. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Men and women are in countries far from home, protecting the people there and back in the United States. They go months without seeing their loved ones so that their loved ones have a safe place to live. Many of these men and women are coming back from deployments without the proper resources to adjust back to civilian life. These men and women fighting for our freedom are the real American heroes and righftully so should've been GQ's Citizens of the Year.