7 Olympians Who Recognize God At The Summer Games

American athletes seek God and gold at the Rio Olympics.

20
The Sun

When the Olympic games come around, everyone is proud to be an American. This year, Olympians from the United States continue to crush the international competition. Athletes such as Simone Manuel, Kayla Harrison and Michael Phelps remain unstoppable in their events. Bu, athletes don’t just depend on their families, friends or coaches when they in their fields. From the pool to the track, American athletes in Rio look to God for guidance and use their sport as a way to glorify him in heaven. Let’s take a look at seven of these Olympians who put the G-O-D in G-O-L-D.

1. Allyson Felix

This 30-year-old California native said, "My faith inspires me so much. It is the very reason that I run." Felix, born to an ordained Christian minister and an elementary school teacher, is a passionate non-denominational Christian. She enjoys literature from the Christian author Cynthia Heald and names her beloved parents as her models of faith. Felix is scheduled to run in the women's 400m this year.

2. David Boudia

"It’s still all for one purpose. It’s all about glorifying God," says Boudia. This gymnast-gone-diver did not grow up a faith-filled home. But during his sophomore year at Purdue, he "hit a wall" and turned to his coach, Adam Soldati, for soul-searching advice. After doing so, he turned to the truths of the Gospel to turn his life around. On the third day of the 2016 Summer Olympics, Boudia earned a silver medal in the men's synchronized 10m platform dive.

3. Tamika Catchings

One look at this basketball powerhouse and we may never suspect that she grew up with speech and hearing impediments. Yet she didn't let these obstacles defeat her in her quest to play basketball. During her senior year playing for the University of Texas, she tore her ACL. This turn of events forced her to take a few steps back and reflect on her relationship with the Lord. She prayed for a draft pick and was picked up by Indiana. Catchings admitted, "Peace definitely came from God. It came from realizing I needed to remove my focus from basketball back to God." She also speaks about the difficulty of playing in the WNBA and being a Christian. "I think that what I do with my platform is that I live my life as Christlike as I can," Catchings proclaimed. So far, Catchings and her teammates defeated Senegal, Spain, Serbia, and Canada in the women's basketball tournament.

4. Gabby Douglas

We all remember the gymnastic sweetheart, Gabby Douglas, who stole our hearts in the 2012 London games. Little did we know that this dynamic young lady holds a heart and soul dedicated to God. This Scripture-motivated believer grew up with a mother who exposed her to the Bible and Christianity. She was even blessed to stay with a "Church-going host family" in Iowa. Despite her awesome winnings in her first Olympic appearance, she stays humble at church as just "that same old Gabby Douglas — just praise and worship and listening to the pastor preach." This year, Douglas and her American team won gold in the women's team all-around.

5. Simone Biles.

Born to a drug-addicted mother and father constantly in and out of jail, Simone Biles may have been the "perfect target" for Planned Parenthood. But with the grace of God, her grandparents, Nellie and Ron Biles, officially adopted Simone and her sister. In a magazine interview, she revealed how she keeps a rosary in her bag and prays on a routine basis. She also attends Mass on Sundays with her parents. Before each meet, Biles lights a candle to Saint Sebastian, the Catholic Church's patron saint of athletes. Biles now owns a gold medal after winning the women's individual all-around as a first-time Olympian.

6. Missy Franklin

The 21-year-old swimming phenomenon, Missy Franklin, told Chad Bonham in an interview that she did not have a traditional faith upbringing. She felt "uncomfortable and self-conscious" on the rare occasion that she and her family did attend a religious service. But it all changed when she walked into Regis Jesuit High School and felt the spiritual peace she lacked. "From that first moment, I knew God was with me," Franklin explained. In the same interview Franklin told Bonham, "I thank Him for this talent He has given me and promise to be a positive role model for young athletes in all sports." Franklin did America proud when she won a gold medal in the women's 4x200 freestyle relay.

7. Michael Phelps

Phelps began in the Athens games in the summer of 2004 and over a decade later he secured more than 20 Olympic medals. But his road to success was not linear. Although so many adored the athlete, he did not see his purpose in life and lacked the self-confidence we expected in such a massive Olympian. Phelps was suspended for three months from swimming after a picture of his excessive drug use surfaced. It became very evident to all Americans that our most decorated Olympic athlete struggled with deep mental health issues, as well as drug and alcohol abuse. Finally, he checked into rehabilitation and read Rick Warren's book "The Purpose Drive Life." This incredible book “turned [him] into believing there is a power greater than [himself] and there is a purpose for [him] on this planet.” Phelps discovered that medals could not provide the fulfilling grace he longed for, rather, God did. In losing himself to drugs and alcohol, Phelps landed in depths of darkness and saw God's shining light.

In the Bible, Philippians 4:13 tells us that we "can do all things through Christ" who strengthens us. These seven athletes, and so many more, take this strength to the next level. Each one physically and spiritually empowers others to live like Christ. They show us how to give glory to the Lord by using the talents he blessed us with.