5 Olympic Moments That Shocked The World

They captured the world's attention, but not with sports.

121

The Olympics are shown on the world's biggest stage. They bring together the best athletes from all around the world to compete and win for their country. Having been around for many years, the Olympics not only shows hundreds of sports events, they also set the stage for people to take a stand for something bigger than sports. Here are 5 Olympic moments, that have less to do with sports and more to do with the world.

1. Black Power Salute: 1968

This was a political demonstration done by United States athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos during the Olympics in Mexico City. Both athletes received their medals without shoes, instead wearing black socks to represent black poverty. Smith wrapped a black scarf around his neck to show black pride, while Carlos unzipped his tracksuit to show solidarity with workers who do manual labor in the United States. Carlos also wore a necklaces of beads which he has said were "for those individuals that were lynched or killed and that no one said a prayer for, that were hung and tarred. It was for those thrown off the side of the boats in the middle passage" (part of the trip that African Slaves were taken on). Both athletes also wore a single black glove, Smith on his left hand and Carlos on his right. Afterwards both athletes were booed, and once home both were subject to abuse and even death threats. Now these men are honored throughout the United States, with several statues created in their honor.

2. Jesse Owens and Luz Long: 1936

The 1936 Olympics was held in Germany, and to Hitler, was seen as an opportunity to promote his government. Yet his opportunity would be stopped by Jesse Owens who won 4 gold medals, proving that the Aryan race was not dominate. But the most historical moment came during the long jump competition. Owens fouled on his first two jumps, leaving him with just one to qualify. On Owens last jump German track and field star Luz Long (whose looks matched with Hitler's preference perfectly), introduced himself, and offered a suggestion to Owens: play it safe. Long told Owens to make his mark several inches before the takeoff board and then jump from there. Using his advice, Owens advanced and eventually went on to win gold, with Long being the first to congratulate him. They posed together for photos and walked arm-in-arm to the dressing room. About the event later, Owens said "It took a lot of courage for him to befriend me in front of Hitler." Long was killed during World War II.

3. United States Boycott: 1980

The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in December 1979 caused President Carter to issue an ultimatum: if Soviet troops did not withdraw form Afghanistan within one month the United States would boycott the Moscow Olympics. Other countries joined the United States in a full boycott of the games, countries such as: Japan, West Germany, China, the Philippines, Argentina and Canada.

4. The Korea's Unite: 2000

In a historic moment that showed national unity and reconciliation, North and South Korean athletes marched together in the opening ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympics, walking behind a unified flag for the first time in the Olympics. All 180 athletes wore matching uniform, many holding hands and waving. This moment drew applause from the audience, even giving them a longer applause than others. An IOC member from North Korea, was quoted saying, "This is a very important symbol for our nation...In the eyes of the whole world's 3.7 billion television viewers, this is very significant. We became one body, the same race of the same blood."

5. 1972 Munich

On September 5, 1972, a group of eight members of a Palestinian terrorist organization known as the Black September, broke into the Olympic Village and took eleven Israeli athletes, coaches and officials hostage. Two of the nine were killed immediately, while the rest were left in a standoff that lasted almost 18 hours. The terrorists demanded the release of 234 prisoners jailed in Israel, as well as the founder of the Red Army Faction. It is believed that the attack was motivated by secular nationalism, with the commander of the terrorist group having been born to Jewish and Christian parents. During a failed rescue attempt, all of the Israeli hostages were killed. The entire situation was covered by news anchor Jim McKay, who received the official confirmation stating: "We just got the final word...you know, when I was a kid, my father used to say 'Our greatest hopes and our worst fears are seldom realized.' Our worst fears have been realized tonight. They've now said that there were eleven hostages. Two were killed in their rooms yesterday morning, nine were killed at the airport tonight. They're all gone." The massacre caused many European countries to establish permanent, professional and available counter-terrorism forces. The games were suspended for the first time in modern Olympic history.