Things long distance runners relate to and understand

12 Things Only Long Distance Runners Can Relate To

Have what it takes to run long distance?

121
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx25DPVh1zS/

Let's face it, running long distance is not for everyone. Running in 5k's, 10ks, half marathons, and full marathons require a lot of commitment and training on a daily basis. Long distance running is its own sport, and unlike a team sport it has a lot to do with mentality. Here is a list of 12 things long distance runners can relate to:

The runner's high is a thing

The 'runner's high' indicates that a person can run without limits. Achieving a runner's high in a race is every athletes dream, and it is a period when the runner is doing their job with great ease, and seem to be unstoppable while having great speed, and form.

Runners are insecure on their own running photos

Let's face it running is not always pretty, especially in pictures. Runners are very conscious about the way that they look, and now they know how their running form is like, and what running face they display.

Nothing is worse than running on a treadmill

The only time when a long distance runner will ever set foot on a treadmill is during winter or some other wacky weather phenomena. Most long distance runners have developed a mentality that running on the treadmill is punishment. When you are on the treadmill, you are not soaking up the scenery and sun, instead you feel like a pet hamster in its cage running on the wheel.

Steve Prefontaine is a hero to you

You know everything about him and his running career. From knowing his stats and personal records in the mile, and other races. You have seen all his films such as 'Without Limits' and 'Steve Prefontaine. Everyone who runs wants to be like him, and admire his dedication to the sport of running.

Pasta parties marks the end of race preparation

From spaghetti, mostaccioli, and a side of salad, a runner can indulge as much pasta as they want days prior to their race to have enough carbs and energy. This is called carbo loading, and is essential for competing in longer races such as 10ks, half marathons, and full marathons. A runner knows never to skip out on carb loading.

You can never drink enough water

Water is a runner's best friend when running, and resting. Being hydrated, and planning when to drink water is a skill a runner has achieved. Runners know not to drink large quantities in one setting or they will get the painful 'water belly' during their race or workout. A water bottle is often found with a runner at all times.

Waking up is the hardest thing when going on a run

Most people would assume that running in general is the hardest task of the morning, but the true task that is the most difficult is hopping out of bed, and shutting off that alarm. Runners know that snoozing ultimately loses precious time to running, and the day gets easier as soon as the task of getting out of bed is complete.

Waving to a fellow jogger can be a challenge or victory

Whenever a runner encounters another fellow jogger, it is often unsure whether to wave back or not or smile or say hi, or simply acknowledge their presence. When you get the courage to wave to them it either goes great, and they wave back. Or if they do not wave back, you hope that nobody saw and noticed.

You can barely remember what your life was like before going on a run

When a runner decided to go out for their jog they leave everything behind during the duration of the workout. Anything that has to do with school, work, family, or friends they have no recollection or memory of anything in their life. A long distance runner has their mind cleared out and just focus on themselves and their workout.

You often question yourself with why do I run

This rhetorical question is often asked in a runners mind when they are struggling the most during a workout or a race. A runner can simply be fantasizing being in bed and on the coach. Despite the pain, the runners keep pushing forward.

Planning what to eat during a run is a mission

The ultimate thing a runner should be careful before they run is what they eat or drink. Also, another idea worth noting is should they eat one hour or three hours before their run. Each person has a different way of how their body responds to food. It is a relief when a runner has found their perfect snack or meal before they run to munch on.

The thought of guilt is found when skipping a workout

To tired or too busy to skip a morning run or workout? Don't worry because you will see another person on the street running or pass by a gym and have that thought of guilt in your stomach and should have run instead of staying in bed. There is always tomorrow to run, as long as you don't skip your run.