6 Ways To Battle Mental Illness

6 Ways To Battle Mental Illness

52
6 Ways To Battle Mental Illness
The Odyssey

Mental health is a hot button issue right now, and as person who suffers from anxiety and depression, I understand why the public is finally shining a light on the reality of mental illness. Sure it isn't something you can see just looking at someone, but a lot of the population deals with mental illness. I was formally diagnosed my freshman year of high school, but first displayed symptoms of depression in sixth or seventh grade which means I've had years of working through issues and have a pretty good handle on what to do when times get tough, these are my six tips on how to destress and improve your mood:

1. Get Out in the Sunshine

When depression and anxiety sets in, my natural instinct is to stay inside and watch marathon Buffy the Vampire Slayer, FIGHT THIS URGE. It's hard to leave the safe warm cocoon of your bed, but no matter the time of year I always feel better when I get out in the warm sunshine. My mood is pretty reliant on the weather so when the sun is out I try to spend some time just soaking in the rays, so when bad weather hits my batteries are fully charged.

2. Create or Find a Go-To Playlist

I'm a musician as well as a music student so music plays a big role in my life, but music is an easy way to boost your mood. I stream music through Spotify (It's just $4.99 for a premium subscription if you're a student) and I love making playlists. I have a playlist for almost every situation, but my go-to music for a quick mood improvement is a Spotify playlist called Good Times, Great Oldies. I grew up listening to music from the 60s, 70s and 80s with my parents, so this music brings back memories from my childhood.

3. Go For a Walk or a Drive

This sort of goes along with my first tip of getting outside, but going for a walk or a drive means that you can discover new places and meet new people. For me driving is very therapeutic, so sometimes I just get in my car and go. I turn on the radio, roll down the windows and sing to my hearts content. Sometimes I end up somewhere new and sometimes I end up back at place that makes me feel at home, but often it's not the destination that matters, it's the journey.

4. Make Something

I'm a crafter, but I think all people can benefit from doing something creative, for me that's knitting, sewing, art journaling, writing or just cutting up an old t-shirt to make something new. When you accomplish something your brain releases a feel good hormone, which is why so many people are addicted to gaming. You have to solve a problem in order to meet a goal, crafting can do the same thing, except you end up with something cool to show off.

5. Find Someone to Talk to

This could be your mom, your best friend or a therapist, but talking about how you feel can really improve your life. I have a tendency to keep all my feelings inside, to suffer in silence, but this is not a healthy way to live. When I started to have panic attacks, and to not be able to get out of bed, I was coerced into seeing a therapist and it's the best thing that ever happened to me. A therapist or counselor is someone trained to talk to people who have a mental illness. They are a third party, that is solely focused on improving your life. I went to see my therapist nearly every week for almost four years. She knows more about me, and the way my brain works than even I do. She taught me some valuable lessons on how to cope with stress and depression, and also helped me work on really deep seeded issues. Therapy is something I believe almost anyone can benefit from, but if you aren't comfortable reaching out to professional, a close friend or family member can make just as much of an impact.

6. Learn to Let Go

This can be the hardest and the easiest thing to do on this list. I had a really unusual high school experience, I was homeschooled for three and a half years. Up until that point I was in public school, until finally everything I had bottled up exploded in the form of my first panic attack. I was tired of being who everyone thought I should be, and when I switched to homeschool I felt like I could breathe again. My homeschool group fell apart at the end of my Junior year, so I matriculated into a small private school. I had to switch schools again in January because I started having panic attacks again, centered around that school, and feeling like I didn't fit in (which I definitely didn't). I now know that I can't be anyone other than myself and I have to let go of the things that keep me from being who I am at my very core. Rather than playing the part that everyone wanted me to play, I had to be who I was. I had to let go of fear and frustration and the past in order to become the best human I can be.

Those are my tips for battling mental illness, if you feel suicidal please reach out to a counselor or call the Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.