6 Tips For Balancing College And A Relationship

How will you survive balancing both?

4581
Katie Kelley

College. New people. New faces. Some see college as a giant balancing act. While trying to balance hard classes, different activities, a job and everything else in-between, there is also "The Big Ocean" with many fish to choose from. When you finally make a catch, do you keep it or throw it back? If you do keep it, how do you balance this crazy new life while keeping up a relationship? Here are some tips that may help you out.

1. Set boundaries early on and stick to them.

In an relationship you have at any age, setting boundaries is important. Knowing your own and your partner's limits will help you grow together as a couple, allowing you to understand when too much is too much. If you need a night with your friends, evaluate together why you think you need some time apart. If you can work through little problems, you avoid the big problems later on.

2. Sleep in your own bed every once in a while.

Getting a good night's sleep is the key to success, especially on a school night. Staying in the same bed may hinder your amount of sleep for many reasons... but getting a good night's sleep will help you succeed in school, your social life and in your relationship.

3. Balance your social life and your relationship.

Planning ahead the nights you have 'Girls Night Out' or 'Bro's Night' is healthy for a relationship. They always say, distance makes the heart grow fonder. Going out without your significant other most likely drive you both insane. Constant snapchats & constant text messages, I don't even have to remind you about the worrying... that is your heart telling you that you need them. It will make the times you are together even better.

4. Balance your school work and your relationship.

Always remember, the reason you are in college is to go school. If you find yourself completing a task after four hours when you're with them but you could have completed it in thirty minutes at the library, take some time to re-focus on what will benefit you the most. Keep in mind that your education will always be there as along as if you don't give up. The same doesn't go for most relationships.

5. Cherish the little things in your relationship.

Relationships can not be based around him bringing you flowers or candy. A simple goodnight text or a 'thinking about you' while you're in class is just as special as getting a dozen roses. If it makes you smile, save up those memories and remember them during the times that aren't going the way you want.

6. Every relationship shapes who you are as a person and how you work in a relationship.

If it doesn't work out, at least you are gaining more information and experience about you self and how you can be better in a relationship. You may think that you found your perfect fish in the Big Ocean but remember, there are plenty of fish in the sea.