6 Small Ways To Brighten Someone's Day

6 Small Ways To Brighten Someone's Day

Change the world one smile at a time.

40
6 Small Ways To Brighten Someone's Day
Everyday Feminism

1. Give a genuine compliment.

While it's always nice to hear that your hair looks good, it can be life changing to be told that you are appreciated. It is much more uplifting to hear that your kindness is inspiring, versus "I like your shirt." There's nothing wrong with complimenting a person's article of clothing or hair style if you like it, but make an effort to recognize the beautiful qualities that your friends have. Think about what makes the people in your life worth keeping, and bring it to their attention. If you know someone with a contagious laugh, a sunny disposition, or a compassionate heart, tell them--they won't forget it.

2. Send a message to let someone know you care.

You know that old friend you keep telling yourself to contact but haven't gotten around to it? Make their day better and let them know they're in your thoughts. Even if it's just a quick "Hey, I haven't talked to you in a while. How have you been?" message, it shows that you care enough about a friend to value your relationship with them. Calling or emailing might sound outdated in today's technologically advanced society, but it shows a person your friendship is worth more than a text. Any effort to let someone know they're important to you never goes amiss.

3. Do a favor for a friend or stranger.

I find myself guilty of cringing on the inside any time someone asks me for a favor, even if it's small and simple. As much as I love to help people and plan to pursue it in the future, I seem to prioritize my own schedule over the needs of others. There are many ways that we can give reach out to the people around us without necessarily putting our lives on hold, ranging from volunteer opportunities in the community to simply holding a door. If you see someone who looks like they might need assistance or just a friendly face, realize that going out of your way will not create an apocalyptic terror of overthrown schedules. Be there for someone, even if you don't know them, because it can make a person's day.

4. Say hi to a someone new.

As awkward as it can be to greet a person you've never seen, a friendly salutation to a stranger might be exactly what they need to feel better. We have not the faintest idea of what random passer-bys are struggling with in their hearts, so take a small step out of your comfort zone and say a quick "Hello!" to an unfamiliar face. The worst thing that could happen is that they don't respond, but that doesn't mean your kindness didn't brighten their day. Greeting someone new always has the possibly to result in one of life's most beautiful treasures--a friendship.

5. Listen to a person when they're talking to you.

Although modern technology may be a sure-fire way to keep up with the latest stories, its ubiquitous presence has ruined the art of conversation. If someone is spending time with you and trying to say something, put down your phone, look at them, and listen. There is nothing that says "I'm not interested" more than pulling out your smartphone to send a snap chat while someone is trying to converse with you. Your selfie can wait a few minutes without the world collapsing, so make sure to value the personal relationships you have. If someone is telling a story, maintain eye contact, acknowledge that your ears are open, and ask questions. Showing that you care enough about a person to take interest in what they're saying goes a along way in making someone feel loved.

6. Find a unique way to spread happiness.

Whether you leave an encouraging sticky-note on a bathroom mirror or "pay it forward" at a Dunkin' Donuts drive-thru, create your own small way to show love for others. I recently started hiding my loose change in stores, restaurants, and public locations because I know how much joy it brings others to find a shiny little coin in an unexpected place. Mother Teresa said, "Do small things with great love" so that we might learn to spread joy through simple acts of kindness. Your gestures don't have to be grand, as long as your heart's in the right place. We were given unique talents and gifts for a reason—let's use them to make the world a brighter place.