6 Reasons To Stop Vaping

6 Reasons To Stop Vaping

Stop blowing smoke.

27207
6 Reasons To Stop Vaping
https://flickr.com/vaping360

The hottest first-world craze is neither a new addictive online game or an over-the-top workout regiment... it's a cigarette. Specifically, electronic cigarettes. Since they were first introduced, e-cigarettes, or "vapes," have been advertised as a smart and healthy alternative to regular cigarette smoking. Vaping appears particularly attractive to current smokers and youth thanks to the multitude of fun flavors and the ability to smoke e-cigarettes anytime, anywhere. Sounds too good to be true, right? That's because it is. Read these six realities about e-cigarette usage and think twice before you decide to start vaping:

1. Vaping suppresses your immune system

While many argue that e-cigarettes are a step up from smoking regular tobacco products, a study shows that e-cigs may actually be worse for the immune system than regular cigarettes. According to the Center for Environmental Medicine at UNC, e-cigarettes suppress more immune genes than normal cigarettes, which can lead to "modified immune response." Translation: your immune system may weaken due to chemical exposure from e-cigarette use and your body will become more susceptible to illness, infection and diseases.

2. Vaping can still damage your lungs

The sweet flavors used in e-cigs come with some nasty respiratory risks. A chemical called diacetyl is used to create many of the fruity and candy-like vape flavors available, but has also been found to cause irreversible lung damage in the form of obliterative bronchiolitis. Too much inhalation of diacetyl can lead to symptoms such as severe coughing, wheezing, and increasing shortness of breath over time. The EHP tested 51 flavored e-cigarettes and found that 39 of them contained more diacetyl than the laboratory limit, therefore increasing the chances of contracting obliterative bronchiolitis.

3. Nicotine is destructive to the body

The same addictive suspect in regular cigarettes is ever-present in e-cigarettes as well. Nicotine has a long list of negative effects on the body, including defective brain development, potential heart attack or stroke, greater risk of type-2 diabetes and potential premature birth for pregnant women. On top of that, nicotine in large quantities (around 60mg) is poisonous to humans and could be fatal. While regular cigarettes have 10-15mg of nicotine, different types of e-cigarettes have anywhere from 0-72mg of nicotine. You do the math.

4. Vaping may cause cancer

Most people are under the impression that "vaping" only uses water vapor for smoking, therefore making it a harmless activity. In reality, the base ingredient in e-liquid is a potentially toxic chemical called propylene glycol. When used in an e-cigarette, propylene glycol is vaporized until it degrades and often becomes formaldehyde. In fact, an EHP study on 97 varieties of e-cigs found that over 50% of them contained formaldehyde. Among other irritating side effects, inhaling formaldehyde is known to cause cancer.

5. E-Cigarettes are prone to exploding

Yes, you read that right. E-cigs could actually explode in your face. E-cigarettes are battery powered in order to vaporize the e-liquid for smoking, making these devices a possible ticking time bomb. The US Fire Administration, 80% of e-cig explosions occur due to a system malfunction during charging. The other 20% of the time, combustion occurs at random times without warning, similar to the situation in the above video.

6. Vaping isn't necessarily the cure for tobacco smokers

Nearly every proponent of vaping argues that e-cigarettes are saving millions of tobacco smokers by providing a safe new habit. Although some doctors concede that e-cigs are a better choice than normal cigarettes, e-cigs don't seem to be helping many tobacco smokers. According to a poll from Reuters, 75% of Americans who vape are using tobacco products at the same time. If e-cigarettes pose so many health risks on their own, imagine the effect they could have on the body when combined with the deadly effects of tobacco. Do you still think vaping deserves the title of "a healthy alternative?"