6 Things I Want To Say To My Best Friend's Family

This has no mention of American Girl dolls -- you're welcome!

95
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/04/636427453172055223324866449_Scan0001.jpg

To my best friend and her family,

Meeting you guys when I was in second grade was one of the most influential moments of my life. If I had never known you guys, I wouldn't have grown into the person I am today. You all have influenced me in so many ways, and I just had to say... thank you.

1. Thank you for changing my views on the world.

Believe it or not, I had no concept of the world outside Union Beach before meeting you guys, and now I’ve been introduced to so many different cultures and communities that I could never have imagined. Learning about all of them from you guys has hugely influenced how I view political, social, and humanitarian issues that this world faces daily. You guys taught and reinforced the idea that everyone should be treated with kindness and, despite what I think, so should all spiders. You taught me that it’s okay to be afraid of new things, but you still need to do them because it is an adventure.

2. Thank you for influencing my travel habits and wanderlust.

From Spain to Sri Lanka, to Morocco, to Australia, I’ve been able to live vicariously through you guys for the past 10 years and now I cannot wait to experience them for myself. California was just one part of my plan to travel the world, and you guys truly inspired that dream.

3. Thank you for changing the food I eat.

I feel like I am one of the only people I know-- besides you guys-- that can say they’ve eaten every fruit on this planet, whether or not I’ve liked it. I might not have enjoyed you guys pressuring me into trying everything on my plate a couple of years ago, but now I really appreciate it. It's given me a newfound appreciation for food from all over the world, and now I know that paper dosa is still my favorite.

4. Thank you for giving me a family to aspire to be like.

Whether or not you realized it, growing up, you guys were what I wanted my future family to be like. While I know everything isn’t always what it seems, you guys were the first ‘healthy’ family I knew, and it has given me expectations for a future marriage and how I want to raise my children.

5. Thank you for giving me the little siblings I never had.

Of course, I have a million little cousins, but I also only see them every once in awhile. I saw Lu almost every day, and Bella just the same. I am kinda bummed that I don’t get to see Lucas just as often, but he will know all about me in time.

6. Thank you so much for giving me one of my best friends.

I was a socially awkward 2nd grader, with all guy friends, when I first met Angelica. Without knowing her, I cannot even imagine where and who I would be right now. I know we grew apart in high school, but this past summer has reminded me that our friendship is built to last. We can go weeks without talking, yet our conversations continue like nothing has changed, which I needed to be reminded of.

Thank you guys for everything. Thank you for being my second family, and my home away from home. I know I wouldn’t be the person I am today without all of you. You’ve inspired all of my aspirations and goals, and given me the best attitude and outlook on the world we live in. I can’t wait to see you guys in November!