Finding Your Self Worth

Finding Your Self Worth

be your own source of happiness

42
Finding Your Self Worth
Alexis Flanagan

Recently, I lost someone very dear to my heart and someone I thought would be in my life forever. I started looking at myself and what was wrong with me, and began believing that it was my entire fault. I started seeking happiness in ways that would seem "wrong" in some people's eyes, but for me it was the only way I could make it through. I stopped looking in the mirror because my own self-reflection was bringing me down. I stopped doing little things that made me happy such as, doing my hair and makeup just because, going out with my closest friends and being the person I use to be. Instead, I wanted to lock myself up in a dark room alone and not doing anything that would bring joy or happiness to my life. Honestly, giving up on yourself leaves you feeling worthless. It takes away a sense of who you are. If you're doing this like I was, then stop.

No one can dictate your self worth but you. No one can take away your happiness. You control whether or not you are happy. In today's society, we seek everyone's approval and opinion of who we are as a person instead of finding our worth within ourselves. We can go on instagram and look at the 'popular' page all day and of course we are going to find people to compare ourselves to and say they are 'better, prettier, and more successful,' but the truth is, they aren't you. We are all beautiful and special in our own way. You were created by God because He thought the world needed YOU. You are not obligated to prove anything to anyone but yourself. Ultimately believing others words about yourself creates self-rejection. Comparing yourself to other people will create an a voice inside of your head that will say, "You aren't good enough for anyone." This rejection will control and dictate your life. It's doubting, hesitating, and hindering the present and future. It creates this idea in our heads that we will never be "good enough" for anyone or anything in our life. Letting someone control your image and how you view yourself is never okay. If someone doesn't value and appreciate you for who you are, then let them go. Never lose sight of who you are in the effort to keep someone else. There is someone out there that will never make you feel unworthy, undeserving or not good enough. They will value you and love you.

Never let someone tell you what you deserve. You are worthy. You have the right to change yourself. You have the right to be happy. Everyone deserves to feel loved and worthy. The truth is you're going to be okay and there is so much light and positivity in your life if you choose to let go and fall back in love with yourself. The biggest advice I can give anyone is whatever you are going through right now will not matter months or years from now, so be happy and live for yourself.