5 Ways To Help Combat Panic Attacks

5 Ways To Help Combat Panic Attacks

For some, panic attacks are an unavoidable reality. Here's how I help myself.

36
5 Ways To Help Combat Panic Attacks
Marisa Wojcikiewicz

Panic attacks are a relatively common and widely misunderstood realit. We are fed ideas that panic attacks are overly dramatic and rooted in a desire for attention, and many haven't taken time to try to educate themselves. Even those of us who have attacks still believe these things and feel embarrassed and out of control since we're not given the facts. I'm not a medical expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do consider myself a sort of aficionado when it comes to dealing with attacks; for those of you who fear and misunderstand your own body, here is some of my best advice.

1. Do your research.

As someone who has struggled with sudden panic attacks for my whole life, knowing the biology of it all has really helped me work my way through them. Being able to recognize the physiological effects of an attack eliminates a lot of mystery and worry. For example, being aware that panic attacks feel a certain way (tight chest, fast heart rate, lump in the throat, tightened abdominal muscles, etc.) allows me to quell some of the anxiety that comes with unexplained physical sensations. Furthermore, if you do search for answers, you'll find that panic attacks rarely last longer than a half an hour. Your body is simply incapable of remaining on such high alert for much longer that. It's not forever, you can get through it.

There is so much to learn, take advantage of the internet but not WebMD!!!

Here are some great (and credible!!) resources:

The National Institute of Health: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/panic...

Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pani...

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual or Mental Disorders (DSM-5) criteria for Panic Disorder: https://www.verywell.com/diagnosing-panic-disorder...

Anxiety and Depression Association of America: https://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/panic-d...

2. Know the difference between an anxiety attack and a PANIC attack

The difference is something that most people do not understand and using the terms interchangeably can leave room for confusion. An anxiety attack, which are much more common, is when a stressor (a test, a social conflict, or a roller coaster, for example) causes a person to feel fearful, apprehensive or overwhelmed. These emotions are often accompanied by an increased heart rate, butterflies in the stomach, etc. A panic attack, on the other hand is a sudden, unwarranted, wholly physiological response.

I've explained my panic attacks as like being hit by a hot wind while simultaneously being washed over by freezing water.

Everyone has a different interpretation of the experience, but one thing is consistent: with panic, the emotional response, is caused by the physical one. That is the major difference between anxiety and panic attacks. Anxiety attacks start with an emotional response, and then escalate to a physiological one, while panic attacks are the exact opposite. In fact, I've even had an anxiety attack about the fact that I just had a panic attack, and they both have defining characteristics; I can tell the difference.

3. Do your best to be present in the moment.

While it is easier to just remove yourself from your body during an attack, remaining observant and responsive to your body's reactions is important in learning to cope in the long run. What I mean is, try to understand the mess of feelings; pay attention to the natural escalation, and, from there, do your best to use reason to control how much of an emotional response you will have. After all, a panic attack is extreme survival mode, and that is a natural and crucial mechanism of existence. If we felt these feelings while in danger, we wouldn't question them, but since we're not in danger (when having an attack) we feel a major disconnect between our reality and our bodies, and that scares us. But being able to appreciate our bodies' survival ability and the importance of each sensation, can help you lessen the fear.

4. In the wake of an attack, let yourself rest.

It's easy to see a panic attack as simply a nuisance or an inconvenience after which we should just go on with our daily lives, but that's often too much to ask of yourself. Having an attack is extremely straining on your body, physically and emotionally, and the best way to care for yourself in the aftermath is to rest. Whether it's to take a nap, read a book, or sit down with a warm beverage, any kind of relaxation is so important. Not only will it allow your body to recuperate, but it will also act as a positive association with having an attack. Knowing that, after you make it through, you'll be able to take some time for yourself will remind you that the overwhelming stress will soon end. Since panic attacks are unavoidable (especially if you're living with Panic Disorder), introducing a bit of comfort to the process of having/coming down from an attack will make the whole ordeal seem like less of a catastrophe.

The biggest obstacle in adopting this habit is the idea that, since a panic attack is sudden and seemingly occurs for no reason, that it shouldn't be taken seriously. This is the same as for many other types of mental disorders, such as depression in the privileged, phobias, etc. Believing that you brought your issues on yourself leaves you feeling like you don't deserve to take the time to recover, and since panic attacks have no stressor, it is all too easy to get caught in this mindset.

Give yourself time.

5. Do your best not to be afraid of future attacks.

One of the defining factors of Panic Disorder is living in constant fear of another attack. For me, for example, I was afraid to travel, because I was afraid of having an attack in a car/train/plane and having no way to separate myself from those around me in order to bring myself down. In actuality, the fear of an attack is less about the actual attack than it is about how the attack would be perceived in the company of others. There is no more vulnerable feeling than experiencing a loss of control in a public place--the fear can be paralyzing. This apprehension is understandable, however, it needs to be fought with a vengeance. Fight the stigma, assert your validity, and take pride in your ability to get through it. After all, nothing truly has power over you until you fear it.