5 Tips For When Your Glow Up Goes Down

5 Tips For When Your Glow Up Goes Down

What glows up might come down.

4675
5 Tips For When Your Glow Up Goes Down

Summer is a time when people want to get in better shape, get a tan, develop healthier habits, and anything and everything in between; it’s the ideal time to “glow up.” People aspire to glow up in their own personal ways whether it’s academically, financially, physically, or emotionally. Although making some quick changes can help reach your self-improvement goals, it’s also easy to have nights where you curl up with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and wallow in self pity whilst watching your favorite movie (that’s what I was doing last night). On days when your glow up feels more like a glow down, try doing something that can help you process your feelings and lift your spirits.

1. Put the screens away.

Seriously. Turn off Snapchat and Instagram for a second and wishing you were as pretty, thin, curvy, etc. than so-and-so. A simple way of treating yourself is by meditating or taking a nap. Spend 15 minutes doing nothing.

“Almost anything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” -Anne Lamott

2. Get movin'.

As someone who hates exercising, this was especially difficult for me to do… until recently. Yes, going for a 30 minute jog is a great way to workout, but sometimes all you need is your own dance party. Make a playlist of all your favorite upbeat songs and dance in your room. The best part is you don’t have to wear pants if you don’t want to. Go for a walk, play with your dog, play with your neighbor's dog, the possibilities are endless.

If you’re like me and have a soft spot for yoga, I highly recommend Pocket Yoga. It’s $2.99 on iTunes, and you can customize each of the workouts to your desired time and difficulty. Having this app is like having a yoga class in your pocket.

3. Journal, journal, journal.

When I tell my friends and family that I journal in several different journals every night, they look at me like I’ve grown a third eye.... Okay, I try to write in them every night, but sometimes I’m too sleepy. My two favorite journals are my aspirations journal and my gratitude journal. In my aspiration journal, I list literally everything I want to do someday. This varies from cleaning out my car to travelling to Germany. In my gratitude journal, I list at least 5 things I’m thankful for along with my favorite part of my day (I call it my “rose”) and something I’m looking forward to (my “bud”).

4. Eat your feelings (in a healthier way)-

As a junk food addict, this is something I’m not very good at. I’m sorry, but eating an avocado isn’t going to solve any of my problems. Well, it may solve one or two, but not enough of them that it’ll actually be worth eating one. When you’re craving some chocolate, try having a serving of dark rather than milk. Someone told me that a spoonful of peanut butter with some dark chocolate chips is one of the most satisfying snacks you could ever eat. I was skeptical, but I tried it and they were totally right. Moral of the story is, it’s okay to indulge every once in awhile, just try not to eat a whole pint of Ben and Jerry’s Cheesecake Brownie ice cream in one sitting.

5. Pamper yo’self-

Take a shower, slather on some lotion, slip on your favorite outfit, put some makeup on if that boosts your confidence. Do something that’ll make you feel a little more comfortable in your own skin. It may help you feel better prepared to take on your day.

From Your Site Articles