5 Things Women with PCOS Don't Talk About

We don't talk about it, but we should.

163
C. Herharts

Any quick Google search on 'PCOS' or polycystic ovarian syndrome will give you a plethora of results yielding everything from PCOS and weight gain to now you are now at risk for pretty much every chronic condition there is. So, is it any wonder that when you are diagnosed, the first thing you don't think about is how empowered you are to make lifestyle changes? No, you feel like you are alone in this. No one understands that you have just been told that your life with definitely be harder than you planned on. No one understands that you aren't on a diet, you are just trying to keep from gaining weight. No one understands that you have this diagnoses and you are frustrated because there isn't enough PCOS research and therefore, learning more about it is impossible. Well, I am here to tell you, you aren't alone. In fact, I found that while the 5-10% of women in the US have PCOS, which means there are around 5 million people just like you! I want to share my feelings on the top five things these five million people are afraid to talk about.

1. Infertility.

Definitely one of the most painful and emotionally exhausting associations with PCOS is infertility. Most women are finally diagnosed with PCOS when it comes time for family planning, in that, you can't get pregnant and are trying to figure out why. PCOS causes insulin resistance that impairs ovarian follicle maturation so you can't produce an egg and depending on the degree of sex hormone disruption, irregular periods make it so that tracking your 'cycle' is impossible. It doesn't make it any less frustrating knowing the cause. The effect is the same and it sucks. My advice is if you are struggling emotionally, get help. See a counselor and talk with your significant other. But bottom line, it is not impossible to get pregnant. Just like everything else PCOS, it is just harder. Modern medicine, reproductive endocrinologists and so on are here to help! Yay! Glimmer of hope. Just remember that if you are feeling depressed, make a plan, focus on those goals, and then get outside and go have fun. Instead of sitting inside crying about your baron uterus (like I have been known to do on occasion), go do all the things pregnant people shouldn't (no I don't mean go get plastered, I mean go travel, ride a roller coaster, etc). It will at least help be a distraction while your plot for baby makin' gets established.

2. Knowing you have elevated male hormones.

Ew. I remember when my doctor told me I had elevated testosterone levels and all I could think about was the fact that this girly-girl had elevated levels of what society has told us is the cause for pretty much everything for male-grossness. I finally understood why they had asked me if I had any unusual hair growth. Again, ew. Thanks PCOS. But, even with my elevated testosterone level, I did not sprout a beard or go bald. In fact, other than my irregular periods and the fact I tend to gain weight in my middle, no one would ever even know. So, I say, rest easy. While it is at first alarming, just remember, everyone is different and everyone exhibits symptoms differently. You are not becoming a man just because a lab test tells you your sex hormones are wonky. Don't run out and buy 30 home wax kits or wigs. It's no big.

3. Belly Fat.

Back to my last number, I mentioned that weight gain in the middle can be a problem. Yes, you can thank PCOS of this too. Women with PCOS gain weight easily and unfortunately it is in the mid-section. Besides the small fun fact that this in itself puts you at higher risks for chronic conditions later on (see #4), for now, what a pain in the ass! But, just like being born with some kind of genetic anomaly, you can't change it. BUT, you can manage it. Like everything PCOS, this means it is going to be a little more tough. Maintaining a healthy diet and consistent exercise will be imperative in optimizing your health. And that should be the real goal. Focus on your fitness goals and maintaining a healthy BMI. Thank God we are now living in a time that recognizes women come in different shapes and you can shop for clothing that fits your body style without looking like you just threw on a potato sack.

4. Future considerations. Risk for things like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer

Unfortunately, PCOS is just diabetes' ugly cousin, and these family members would looooove to get together. With PCOS, you are at a higher risk for diabetes as well as other chronic conditions like heart disease and uterine cancer. But again, there is a light in the tunnel. No, not the great beyond. Don't go that way. Go for the window. Refer back to #3 in that this is manageable so don't be disheartened. Going back to the basics, the best way to decrease risk factors are to live a health-ful life! Your current lifestyle choices will truly affect the rest of your life. I am not saying to live in fear, but go get out into this beautiful world and live whole heartedly! See your Doctor or Nutritionist for an outline in the best diet/exercise plan for you.

5. Frustration with lack of research.

Maybe I am the only one but when I learn something new, I want to know everything. Unfortunately, when you start researching PCOS, you either get to a dead end and have to turn around, or you start following links down the rabbit hole and end up reading articles on the many reasons you should have a bonsai tree in your home, wondering how you got there. I digress. The point is, I learned that while all of the who, what, why, when. and how(s) of PCOS are not known, there is ongoing research on the topic.

Let me end with, if you think you have PCOS or have been diagnosed, you definitely need to follow up with your doctor. Together, you can make a plan that will address your current issues, give you current goals to strive for, and benefit you in the long run. It is not advisable that you begin or stop any health based program without your doctor's agreement and involvement. It is so important to be in open communication with your doctor so that they can be kept up to date with your progress and help you along the way as needed. At the end of the day, just remember you are not alone, frustrations are shared, and only you can make the changes necessary to improve your health. You got this!

^This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.