5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting High School

And how to make the worst four years the best.

5
playbuzz

1. Just because you got through Middle School without having to study, doesn't mean you can (or should) do the same in high school

It’s no secret that 9th grade is way harder than 8th, not to mention the fact that it’s also way more important. Sure out of the four years of high school, your freshman year isn’t the one to worry about, but it’s not like colleges can’t see what you’ve been doing. If there’s a year you can look back on thinking, “Wow, I really wish I had worked harder,” it is freshman year (because you have three years for improvement), but let me save you some time: you’re going to have to work. Once you get to high school, you can’t just coast through school, memorizing facts and forgetting everything the second you finish the test. This is when you’re supposed to start thinking about and preparing for what you want to do with the rest of your life, and if you forget everything you learned in chemistry, it’s going to be pretty hard to become a chemist. Some people may learn and understand things easier than others, but what you put in is what you get out, so don’t put in nothing.

2. People don't judge you nearly as much as you think they do, so do whatever you want!

Not that judgment from a bunch of teenagers should dictate how you live your life, but most of the time, that’s how it goes. Going into high school, everyone pictures the movie-made stereotypical hallway, cheerleaders making out with football players, nerds huddling in the corner, the theater geeks, the exclusive Goth group, etc. No one wants to be the target of a full on Glee slushy-ing, so a lot of kids try to lay low, sometimes giving up something they are extremely passionate about. There’s always going to be the kid that thinks he can knock you down (whether it’s physically or psychologically), but there are a lot less of those people (and a lot more people willing to pick you back up) than you might think. If you’re friends with the right people, whether you are starting quarterback of the football team, or first chair trombone won’t matter, so do what you love, and love what you do. And a little side note: there will be days when you wake up wondering if you will ever be able to physically get out of bed this morning. If/when this happens, snooze your alarm, your hair can be thrown in a messy bun for a day. People can deal with it. Sleep is precious.

3. The thousand clubs and activities you signed up for mean absolutely nothing if you aren’t happy doing them

Yes, colleges like to see well-rounded, active students with a lot of extra-curriculars. No, they don’t want to see someone who is a member of every club on campus. Passion is a love of something so strong that you simply can’t have it for that many things. I’m not telling you to only focus on one activity, but sometimes, less is more. If you love to dance, but you also like to play basketball, by all means, do both! Your happiness needs to come first (yes, something can take priority over getting into your dream school), so if you don’t like something, don’t do it. On the other hand, if you go into high school having no inkling of what your passion might be, this isn’t a free pass to do nothing for four years. The great thing about high school is that opportunities are endless. Try new things, or revisit old ones, just never stop searching for something to fall in love with.

4. Teachers are people too, and some of them are pretty cool

Once you get into high school, you’ll be told over and over again to form relationships with your teachers. Of course you want your teachers to like you, but the people that tell you this aren’t suggesting that you brown nose until there’s no tomorrow. Take the time to actually sit down and have a real conversation with your teachers, whether it’s about their class or not. Contrary to popular belief, people don’t become teachers to ruin your childhood the way another teacher ruined theirs. Your teachers always have your best interest at heart; they want your future to be bright, and they are willing to help you make that happen. Teachers are great resources for school help, life advice, and sometimes just a genuinely interesting conversation. Between two teachers, I have had conversations about life, environmental science, parenthood, geometry, football, tortilla chips, The Bachelor (and all of it’s wonderfully entertaining spin-offs), and a whole lot more. Some of the best and most meaningful conversations I have ever had have been with my teachers, counselors, and coaches, and I can’t imagine going through high school, or life, without them.

And last, but definitely not least…

5. You don't have to surround yourself with people you don't like

OK, this one seems like it should be pretty obvious, but for some reason, 90% of people don’t realize that this is even a possibility. Unless you’re friends with a group of miracle children, your friend group will change a lot from 6th grade to 12th. Some not-so-nice words will be exchanged, sides will be taken, feelings will be hurt, but you will get through it. You’re going to come home some nights thinking that you’ve lost your friends forever, and sometimes you will have. However, at that point, you’ve only lost those friends, you haven’t lost every friend you have ever and will ever have, and honestly, the ones you lose so quickly are usually the ones that were never worth having. Once you get to high school, you will be immersed in a new pool of people. You and your peers are maturing, and the way you all view things will change tremendously. If you aren’t your best self around your best friend, then why are they your best friend? Life is too short to be unhappy for reasons that you can easily change. Leaving a friend may seem like a daunting task, but if it is something that will ultimately make you happy, then it’s something you need to do. Stick with the people you get excited to see and talk to, the ones who push you to be your best, and pick you up at your worst. Stick with the people that like to go out with you, but understand if you need some time alone. Stick with the people that always make you happy; those are the ones worth fighting for :)