Five Things We Need To Appreciate More

Five Things We Need To Appreciate More

Love what you have.

13
Five Things We Need To Appreciate More
Public Domain Pictures

Oftentimes caught up in the daily mix of everything we want and everything we need, humans have a tendency to lose sight of the beautiful things we already have. We grow up hearing, "take time to smell the roses," but what does that really mean? To me it means don't get so caught up in where you're headed and where you've been, appreciate the beauty that is currently surrounding you. Take and make time for appreciation. Here are seven things I think we could all stand to appreciate a little more.

1. Family

Family can be people with whom you share a blood-relation, but that is not necessary for someone to be your family. Your family is the people who love and care about you the most, unconditionally. The people who are nearly obliged to stay with you your whole life. However the reason we should appreciate family should not be due to any societal obligation, it should be do to the fact that these people love you and you love them. People show love in so many different ways and the people who care about you the most may be people you tend to neglect, because you always know that they'll always be there for you no matter what. Don't fall into that trap, let the people who care about you most be the people you give your best to. Make time for your family, and never forget to say thank you for all that they do for you, and for helping you become who you are.

2. Friendship

Friends are often said to be "the family that you choose," and I do agree with that. There are many different layers to friendships and different levels of closeness between people. However, to me a "friend" is a person who you spend time with who brings your life fulfillment. Someone you can count on, someone you can laugh with, someone you can joke around with, but also have serious conversations. True friends are hard to come by, and they should never be taken for granted. Keep your real friends close to you and your heart.

3. Nature

The second you step outside your home or look outside your window, nature surrounds you. There are beautiful colors and amazing sounds everywhere, but we become numb to them because we get to experience them so often. Don't let all the naturally occurring beauty you find go overlooked. Take time to listen to the ocean or the birds singing, and notice how bright and amazing the sky is. It might sound cheesy, but there is no shame in appreciating your environment.

4.Music

Regardless of what your musical preferences might be, I think music in general is one of the greatest things in this world. Music brings people together on so many different levels. Music is a non-human entity that provokes passion in people. Music tells stories, it shows people that others have gone through the same situations and feelings that they have. Although music is everywhere and there is no shortage of it, it should not get underappreciated.

5.Ourselves

We are by our own sides from the day we are born until the day we die. We have the ability to be our own best friend and our own worst enemy. Sadly, we often overlook the good qualities in ourselves that we admire in others, and dwell on our downfalls that we wouldn't even notice in someone else. Learn to love yourself and appreciate yourself, because you can do more for you than anyone in the world can.

All in all, it is easy to overlook a lot of the amazing things in our everyday lives, but it should not be that way. Make sure you make the time to appreciate all of the wonderful things that surround you.