5 Things to Remember on Valentine's Day

5 Things to Remember on Valentine's Day

All the chocolate goes on sale the next day anyways

121
5 Things to Remember on Valentine's Day
College Humor

Here we are again, that time of the year that no one really looks forward to unless they absolutely have to. Otherwise, Valentine’s Day is pretty much a constant reminder that most holidays are extremely overrated, glitzed to the max and have become unreasonable. It is okay to be single on Valentine’s Day and here is why:

1. Having a significant other is not necessary to enjoy Valentine’s Day.

Although it may be fun to celebrate the holiday by getting all dressed up and going on a date, there are alternatives. There are multiple other things you could do such as having a galentine’s date. Yup, go get all dolled up and go to the dining hall with your gals as if you are walking the red carpet at a movie premiere. Another option including your gals would be getting into your comfiest pajamas, gathering around a tv with a plethora of snacks, and watching romantic comedies until 11 (because Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday).

2. Enjoy some alone time.

If your friends are busy with their significant others, there is always the option of having a relaxing night. With a busy college lifestyle it is important you take a night to yourself and do something you love. Watch a movie you love, write a story, or even read a few Odyssey articles, like the ones in SUNY Oswego Odyssey’s Community.

https://giphy.com/gifs/love-the-office-surprise-gHsBggKIMvpn2

I included this gif of Pam and Jim from The Office because that is what I will be watching.

3. Let people know you appreciate them.

You may not be in a relationship this Valentine’s Day, but that does not mean you are not loved. On this day, be sure to remind those in your life you care about that you enjoy their presence in your life. This holiday has been molded into the holiday of love, therefore you should not shy away from letting your friends know how much they mean to you on a daily basis. Give a friend a hug, spend time with them, or even just walk with them to class, just let them know you care.

4. Do not forget about your family.

Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to give the much-anticipated call to mom, dad, aunt, uncle, or grandparent. Remember that your family is a group of people that will always love you no matter what kind of mistakes are made. They brought you into this world, support your decisions, and are always there when you need to talk about the issues in your life. Although you should constantly be reminding your family you care about them, this is one of those days where you can go a bit above and beyond to show them how much they mean to you.

5. It is not worth all the hype.

At the end of the day, you do not need the glitzed up to have a good time on Valentine’s day. Remember on this day that it is okay not to be in a relationship, you are a strong, independent, successful person. Who cares about this holiday? What really matters is the half off chocolate and extremely soft half off teddy bears.