5 Things People Who Don't Suffer From Depression Don't Understand About Depression

Common misconceptions people have about depression.

345
whedan.com

Society today has created such an undesirable stigma around depression, and I honestly believe that is due to the lack of education on the subject.

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, depression affects over fifteen million adults ages eighteen and older. That is over six percent of the American population. Of the fifteen million people affected by depression, I am one of the many faces of depression. If so many are affected by this disease then why is society not more informed? We are all educated on our physical health starting in primary school, but our mental health is never addressed. Mental health is a crucial part of life, and just like we are educated on food pyramids and calories, we should be taught self-love and mental health awareness. So here are five things that people without depression do not understand about depression.

1. Depression is not just sadness.

Contrary to belief, depression is so much more that sadness. When you say that someone with depression is “just sad”, it makes their very real condition minuscule. There are many things that can cause depression and/or make you susceptible to depression. Some of these causes include stress, chemical imbalances, medications, or even your genes. The Maybelline look isn’t the only thing you can be born with, genetic depression is very real. So please don't undermine the severity of someones condition that they may have no control over.

2. You can’t just “get over” depression.

Depression is not a choice. People that suffer from depression can’t just get up and decide to not be depressed. If it were that easy, then why would depression continue to exist? Saying this to people with depression can make them feel really helpless. If there were any way for them to rid themselves of it I assure you that would be the first thing on the agenda. It is like walking up to someone who just had a knee replacement and asking them to go on a run. It’s just not that simple.

3. You can’t always control it.

Depression is not a switch in the brain that can just be flipped on and off. Many people confuse seasonal depression with control. Some people struggle with their depression more in certain seasons of the year than others. Believe it or not weather can effect your emotions and mental health significantly. Some people suffer from bipolar depression. This type of depression can be very hard to control. One minute bipolar depression patients can be perfectly stable, and the next they can find themselves in a deep depression. There are many different kinds of depression. Never assume you know someone’s personal struggle.

4. Some days are worse than others.

Finding the right balance and treatment for you can be difficult. Some days things that shouldn't effect a person extremely can be a breaking point for someone with depression. People who suffer from depression can get blind sided by the intensity of it at times. So when you say “…but you were fine yesterday” that statement is not valid. Yesterday may have been a really good day for that particular person’s depression, but you can not base a prior experience on a current battle.

5. Using medications to balance and control depression does not make you weak.

Finding the right medication for you can be a painstaking trial and error process. There are so many medications on the market for depression. All of these medications come with side affects too. This process is long and tedious. With all the advancement in modern medicine, why would you not want to try something that can improve your quality of life? It is not fair for you to make someone feel wrong for taking advantage of these amazing tools. The last thing someone with depression wants to hear is “…you don't need medication for that.” or “…just try diet and exercise.”

Anti-depressants are a very helpful tools in helping people cope and live with depression. Some of them are even harmless enough to be consumed by pregnant women. If someone was having a heart attack you would you deny them an aspirin?

The bottom line is to draw more attention to mental health awareness. Teenagers that are suffering in silence…Please don't be afraid to come forward and ask for help like I was. You are not dramatic. Depression is very real and can take a huge toll on you. Never be ashamed to need help. There are so many resources available for you!

With that being said, don't treat people with depression like they are broken. Also, don't treat them as if their depression is not a real issue because it is. Instead, research, ask questions, and get more educated on a subject that affects over fifteen million adults yearly. Knowledge is power!