The 5 Stages of Starbucks Grief

The 5 Stages of Starbucks Grief

Do I really need a venti?

35
The 5 Stages of Starbucks Grief
pexels

Whether we like to admit it or not, Starbucks gives us all some sort of grief. They bribe us with amazing drinks and extremely tasty foods warmed up to perfection at the price of selling your soul and waiting on line. Some of you might think that sounds awful but I don’t think you’ve had a peppermint mocha on a cold December morning (It’s somehow all worthwhile). Here are some of the thoughts I have during my trip to Starbucks along with the stages of grief I go through:

1. Denial

Despite being in a rush and late to class with two hours of sleep, every time I approach Starbucks I deny the fact that I need coffee, well $4 coffee. But the sign says they just started serving almond milk and man, do I love almond milk. Okay, I’m going to go in really quick but I'm just going to get coffee. But chocolate croissants are amazing, and the cake pops look like mummies for Halloween. How adorable is that? Wait, why am I here again?

2. Anger

I’ve wasted all this time here already so I can’t back out now but geez the line is moving soooo slow. Like, do people not know they can reload their Starbucks cards online? Why do you need to argue with the barista? Who cares if they spell your name wrong? If you want plain black coffee Please go somewhere else, you are holding up the line.

3. Bargaining

Are you sure this costs that much money? Like are you really sure? I think your register is broken. How do I owe you over $10 already? If I show you my student ID, can I get a discount on my latte? Maybe I don't need extra whipped cream...is it any cheaper if I get decaf?

4. Depression

I have finally ordered my drink but I don’t have it yet and this morning slump is really getting to me. Oh wait, that girl got a frappuccino, I should have gotten a frappuccino. I’ve never felt sadder than I do now watching other people get their drinks while I wait for mine.

5. Acceptance

I am now even more broke than before, and late for work but this coffee tastes fantastic and that’s honestly all that matters to me right now.

So go ahead and indulge yourself with tons of caffeine and the mass hysteria that is Starbucks. And by the time you're done with this you're probably already on the way to the nearest one. Because this isn't just any coffee, but a venti caramel macchiato with extra whip and caramel drizzle. Don't forget the double shot of espresso.