5 Reasons You Should Start Cooking at Home

Even as much as I love Taco Bell, everyone needs an alternative source of food once in a while.

137

For those of you who, like myself, are staying in apartments for the summer and have to fend for yourselves, it's easy to succumb to the temptation of getting takeout every night. But here are some reasons it's actually better to cook a meal at home:

1. It's relaxing.

After a long day at work/internship/studying, it's nice to have an activity that's mentally numbing. All you have to do is dump some stuff in a pot, stir it around, and call it a day.

2. You'll enjoy the food more.

As your meal is cooking, the smell will stimulate your salivary glands and cause your mouth to water. This primes your body to know that food is coming, so you will have a better appetite. Plus, when you cook the food you know all the ingredients are fresh and healthy, so you'll revel in your accomplishment of making an edible meal which makes the food all the more better.

3. It's cheaper.

Not all summer internships are paid, so sometimes students can be tight for money. Making and packing meals from home is a healthier and less costly option that getting food out to eat every day.

4. You decide the portion size.

Sometimes, I don't like to eat out because the portion sizes are huge and they make me feel really greasy and bloated afterward. Other times, like if I've just worked out, I want a larger portion but it should be higher protein and more filling while still being healthy. If you cook at home, you can customize your meal to what you're feeling that day.

5. Grocery shopping is so much fun.

On the weekends, I look forwards to a Kroger or HEB outing. Every time I'm amazed by selection of produce and products they have. Plus it gives me some inspiration for meals to cook for the upcoming week.

So whether you're on your own or at home for the summer, cook yourself a meal and see how it goes. Just make sure you have a fire escape plan in case something goes wrong.