5 Reasons Why It Is Impossible To Explain Houghton

For starters, we call it Houghme

269
Houghton College

There aren't too many of us who attend or have attended the small liberal arts school located in the middle of nowhere Western New York, but those of us who have been blessed with the opportunity that is Houghton College tend to call it home.

I find that Houghton seems to spring itself upon people. Many did not intend to find themselves here, in a place 45 minutes away from the closest Walmart, or more preferable Wegman's (when the wallet is just a bit heavier.) And some of us may still be confused as to how we ended up here, in a place that doesn't have its own gas station, but does have a ski hill and horse barn. And don't forget the "community."

All things considered, when us Houghtoners get back home and try to explain Houghton to our friends and family, no one ever understands. Here's why:

1) Houghton is not on most printed maps.

During Christmas break we reunite with our old high school buds, most of whom went to big state schools, and they ask us where do you go to school again? Houghton. We pull our printed map from the back pocket of our camo pants and realize, where is it... (if you look closely enough IT IS NOT THERE!)

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2F12%2F6361710616770739081739166877_new-york-road-map.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=300&h=2f2123abdf991c438c3905206113f30130788df893945bdf58e3b157169595b1&size=980x&c=3952014003 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F12%252F12%252F6361710616770739081739166877_new-york-road-map.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D300%26h%3D2f2123abdf991c438c3905206113f30130788df893945bdf58e3b157169595b1%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3952014003%22%7D" expand=1]

2) Houghton is "houghme."

Not only is it hard enough to try and explain how to say "Houghton," it gets more complicated when you call it "houghme." But all Houghtoners know that there is no place like houghme, am I right?

3) Houghton is a "community."

We all laugh, but on graduation day when we hear President Mullen say "community" for the last time, we will all be crying (at least on the inside.) #fellowship #relevant

4) "Shen Men are real cool, but Rothenbuhler is Rothencooler," said no one ever.

There is a big divide when it comes to Houghton Residence life. Gillette and Lambein, Shen and Roth. But let's be honest Shenoween is great because of the IBC root beer and Froth for the milk shakes, Lambein for their continual motivation to keep studying and Gillette for their soccer boy obsessed residents. Parents especially seem to have trouble understanding this competitive divide between dorms, but we all know its real (at least as real as the Houghton Bubble...)

5) The Houghton Bubble is real.

We have found ourselves in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. It's true. We are rather isolated from the world. It can be quite peaceful, but when faced with the harsh reality of traffic lights and the overwhelming reality that people have indeed not heard of Houghton or of the principles that our "community" has founded itself upon, we go into shock. (Maybe more places should sign a community covenant...)

We are all Houghton, and Houghton will forever be a part of us, even if no one will fully understand.