5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Attend New York Comic Con At Least Once

It's more than just cosplay.

13
Laura Dengrove

Ah, the month of October.

Some may say it is the month of Pumpkin Spice Lattes, other say it is all about Halloween; well, I say it is all about New York Comic Con.

While many know of its many wonders and glory, others are in the dark. They say to themselves, "what happens there...is it a place I would enjoy....what if I'm not part of a fandom yet...should I go?" Well look no forward my young wonderers, and think of me as your faithful tour guide as I list a few reasons why you should attend New York Comic Con, or NYCC, at least once in your life.

1. It is a place of pure acceptance, magic, and imagination.

When thinking of Comic Con, the song by Willy Wonka, (RIP Gene Wilder) "Pure Imagination" pops into my head. As soon as I walk through the doors of the Javits Center, I am immediately greeted by like minded people all there to celebrate the wonderful world of creativity. No one is calling each other names, no one fights, and everyone genuinely has a smile on their face, unless they are wearing a mask of course. Once you step through those doors you feel as if you just joined a family, and you did, because at Comic Con we are basically just one big family that hasn't met one another yet.

2. The creative booths that fill the convention center.

Something that truly puts a grin on my face is seeing the absolute talent that resonates among our tight knight community. While some may go for the costumes, and other for the events, I always make sure to take the time and visit booths of small time owners that take the time to create something truly special in the world of fandom. And don't forget to talk to the people at the booths as well, because they may have some amazing knowledge of events at the convention center, as well as just being pretty cool people all on their own.

3. The events.

Comic Con is truly the place where dreams come true, and if one of those dreams is meeting and or seeing Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Ash from Evil Dead, or director Kevin Smith in the flesh, than this is the place for you. Events at NYCC are truly a sight to behold, with a wide variety of events covering shows like Game of Thrones to AMC's Comic Book Men. Here, there is a little something for everyone, so if dressing up isn't your thing, maybe seeing a personal idol is. I've come super close to meeting one of my idols, director Kevin Smith, and even being in the same room truly fills my heart with joy and inspiration, so if that sounds like the type of thrill you may seek, than Comic Con is your place.

4. The costumes.

At NYCC, one of the most alluring parts about the convention are the cosplays. Yes, some are insanely good and at a professional level, but they don't need to be. Above is a photo of me and a fellow fan at the Con dressed as two Marvel super heroines, Lady Thor aka Jane Foster and myself as Black Widow. Obviously, I'm not winning a prize for my already dark red hair and putting on a spandex suit that was flattering to say the least, but I can say I had a blast doing so. I also took many pictures with fans all over the Con, including a little girl dressed as Black Widow and moments like that is truly why I go.

5. And most importantly, the people!

To me, nothing makes NYCC more magical or amazing than the people that reside within it. People here are simply amazing, and when I say amazing, I mean these are the types of people who take pictures with strangers, and act out scenes from movies all for the pure joy of others. Like I said before, at NYCC we are all one big family...in all our nerdy/ FAN-tastic glory. Pun intended.