5 Reasons To Keep Reading

5 Reasons To Keep Reading

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.

593
UHWO

"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go!" -Dr. Seuss

1. Stress reduction

Unfortunately stress is inevitable. After a long day of work or class, the majority of people are desperate to escape the stress of daily life. Sitting down with a well-written book or even an intriguing article allows us to calm down and temporarily forget about any tension. When we engage in reading that interests us, we are transported to a state of relaxation.

2. Vocabulary expansion

Reading allows us to be exposed to new words. Eventually these words will make their way into our everyday vocabulary and will only further help and educate our minds. Those who are well-spoken make a positive impression on employers and anyone else they encounter.

3. Increased knowledge

Reading fills our minds with an endless amount of information. The more knowledge we hold, the better equipped and prepared we are to form a plan of action when faced with a challenge. Whenever life greets you with an obstacle and it seems as if you have lost everything that would normally help you overcome the problem, remember that your knowledge cannot be taken from you.

4. Memory improvement

What do you remember when you’re in the middle of a novel? You have to remember the plot, an assortment of characters, and any sub plot that is included in the story. The brain is a marvelous part of the human body and reading allows us to exercise our brain to better recall information.

5. Entertainment

In fact, it's free entertainment. A Netflix or Hulu subscription will cost you a monthly fee and while these two sources are definitely a great way to stay entertained, reading is free. While heading over to your local library may seem lame these days, library trips could keep you sane from everlasting boredom whenever money is tight.