4 Important Reasons To Read In Your Free Time

"You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book."

4403
Tom Hermans

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to read. I'm not into classic literature, such like Shakespeare or Hemingway, but prefer modern fiction. Sappy love stories are the best and I will read anything with a "Titantic"-esque feel. Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author and I've already read two of his books this summer. For me, reading is a way to unwind and enjoy my summer days. I know that my sister despises reading and I always urge her to crack open a book out of the hundreds on my bookshelf. Here are just a few of the many reasons to read in your free time:

1. Reading is relaxing.

Reading is my way of relaxing. I can't relax by just sitting down and doing nothing because I feel unproductive. When I read, I can feel both relaxed and productive. I love just sitting down outside in my backyard and reading in the sun. I forget about everything and am enveloped in the lives of the characters in the story. Reading is an escape from reality.

2. Reading improves vocabulary.

No matter what book you're reading, you will find words in it that you don't know. Even reading Nicholas Sparks books, I learn new vocabulary words. Improving your diction can make you sound more professional and educated, making you more appealing to employers in the big and scary adult world.

3. Reading is meditative.

We live in a hectic world. Our work is never done because there is always more to do, more to see, and more to discover. We have jobs, school, and other responsibilities that we can't escape from. However, reading is a way to meditate and concentrate on our deep thoughts away from the outside world.

4. Reading is informative.

Reading exposes you to new ideas and information. Whether it's history, science, psychology or technology, books can teach you things that people can't. School courses have a specific curriculum that only teaches certain things. Books can teach you the weird and unconventional, or the bygone and archaic.

So, I urge you to open a book in your free time to open your mind to the world of unknown.