5 Places To Visit in Koh Samui

5 Places To Visit in Koh Samui

Here are a few places worth visiting in Koh Samui, Thailand.

63
5 Places To Visit in Koh Samui
Zaneta Grant

This summer, I took a break from work and decided to travel around Asia. I spent most of my trip in Thailand, visiting multiple major cities to experience various atmospheres within the country. Koh Samui was my very first stop on my tour of Asia, and it was one of my favorite places on the entire trip. If you’re planning a trip to Thailand, I would definitely recommend visiting Koh Samui at some point, especially if you are in the area during the Full Moon Party or Half Moon Festival that occurs every month.

Fisherman’s Village

This area is one of the most festive places I was able to visit on the island. Fisherman’s Village is a hotspot for locals, tourists, and expats alike in Koh Samui. This boardwalk stretches across Bophut Beach, and there is always something to do, whether you are looking for activities during the day or night. There are a number of bars with live music, restaurants, and vendors that sell food, clothes, and souvenirs. During the day, you can go to a book a day trip to a neighboring island for activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving, and more. At night, the village lights up, and the decor makes for a romantic stroll by the beach.

The Big Buddha of Koh Samui

Towering at 12 meters high, the Big Buddha of Koh Samui is hard to miss at some point as you travel across the island. I climbed the stairs all the way to the top to see the statue up close, but my favorite views were from the pier and the courtyard below.The Big Buddha Pier boasts a lovely view of the ocean before you even enter the courtyard. In both the pier and the courtyard, there are a number of vendors surrounding the temple if you would like to purchase souvenirs or food. I found my favorite ice cream shop in the world (so far) on the pier. It was called “-18 Degrees and Below,” a chain I found in other places in Koh Samui, but the breathtaking view of the ocean made it the best location by far.

Wat Plai Laem

Wat Plai Laem is a modern Buddhist temple featuring a remarkable white statue of Guanyin, the goddess of compassion and mercy. The temple is surrounded by a lake and also hosts a number of Buddha statues and displays of Chinese-Thai inspired art. I especially loved the elaborately designed bridges leading to the main statues and the ubusot (Buddhist ceremonial hall), which were each situated on their own islands within the temple grounds.

Lad Koh Viewpoint

If you enjoy gorgeous views of the ocean, you should certainly consider a visit to Lad Koh Viewpoint. I wasn’t looking for this place; I happened to stumble upon it on one of my scooter rides around the island. It’s located in Bay View Village, right next to Chaweng Noi Beach. The sights from the top of theviewpoint are delightfully picturesque, and the giant boulders might seem intimidating at first, but they are fairly easy to climb. I was totally unprepared for bouldering, yet I had no problem getting pretty close to the top with my flips flops. A woman in a wedding dress climbed even higher than I did, and I was able to get a stunning photo of her impressive feat.

Dusit Dhewa Cultural Center

This place is mostly off the radar to tourists, but it is definitely worth the trip. I doubt I would have discovered it by exploring the island on my own. I was able to experience the grandeur of this landmark because I was invited to model for a photoshoot for Tropic Events & Weddings. Dusit Dhewa is a cultural arts center that features magnificent aspects of Thai art and architecture, including stately pillars, grand archways, and beautiful shady gardens. Visiting this site will make you feel like you’ve stepped into ancient Thailand. If you get the chance to visit, you should take advantage of the enchanting backdrops and have a photoshoot of your own!

Photo credit: Mikolaj Krawczunas Photography