5 Non-Cliche Things to Do In Orlando, FL

More than just parks.

63
Google Images

Orlando. Home of many parks including the famous Walt Disney World. Many people who've visited, nationally and internationally, have experienced the typical Orlando vacation. Not saying that the parks aren't cool and all, but there's so much more to do in the city. Recently my sister and her husband came to visit me here in Orlando. I was so excited to show them around and explore different things to do in and around the city. We did a lot, but I'm going to name a few in hopes of persuading you to explore beyond the parks on your next visit.

1. Downtown Winter Park.

This is perfect for those who like shopping at local stores, eating at local restaurants, and just enjoying the beautiful scenery. For those who love art, there are a few art museums that are usually free. Museums include Cornell Fine Arts Museum, The Morse Museum, and The Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens. And if you're visiting on a Saturday, be sure to check out the weekly Farmer's Market at the old train depot located at 200 West New England Avenue. It's definitely a place that the whole family will enjoy.

2. Downtown Orlando.

Like downtown Winter Park, downtown Orlando also has a Farmer's Market every Sunday at Lake Eola Park. And if you're a lover of exercise, there's also yoga in the park every Sunday morning as well just for $5! But wait...there's more! You can go paddle boating with the family at Lake Eola enjoy the beautiful skyline of fancy office buildings and restaurants. Downtown Orlando is also home to local venues such as The Social, The Beacham, Walt Disney Amphitheater, and local nightclubs. There are always events going on whether it be art festivals or fundraiser walks, so be sure to check out the events calendar during your visit.

3. Natural Springs.

This is by far my favorite thing of being in Orlando. There are a bunch of springs within thirty minutes to an hour and a half away. You can find a list of the springs here. All offer camping, tubing, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, snorkeling and some offer scuba diving. Some even have manatees that will want to swim with you! My favorite, however, would definitely be Blue Springs State Park because it has a 130ft underwater cave! And if you're a licensed scuba diver, you can actually go down and explore! But it's okay if you're not because with some goggles you can definitely see into the cave which is breathtaking. All springs are natural, clear, and open all year round with the water keeping a cool temperature of 72º.

4. West Orange Trail.

If you love being outside, then this one's for you. West Orange Trail is a 22-mile long biking trail that runs through the quaint town of downtown Winter Garden. You can either bring your own bike or rent one for $7/hr. Don't like biking? You can roller blade, run, or walk! It's a great way to enjoy nature and downtown Winter Garden is the perfect place to grab a quick bite and maybe even catch a movie or shop.

5. Artegon Marketplace.

Known as the Anti-Mall, this includes boutiques, local businesses, bakeries, and entrepreneurs. It's full of natural foods grown locally in Orlando and local artists showing off their work, and there's even a tattoo place, record store and movie theater. One of the coolest things about this place is the long wall showing a different use of colors using paints, chairs, frames, and more. It's definitely unique and a one of the kind thing to see. And if you want to rub it in people's faces, you can write them a postcard from the Marketplace and they'll send it for you!

Hopefully, you get to explore these places yourself the next time you're in town. Who knows, maybe you'll stumble upon a cool place!