5 Things I Learned My Freshman Year Of College

Who said knowledge is only found in textbooks?

6
Katherine Rufalo

Being in college for a year taught me a lot. Sleep is a privilege. So is good food. You're friends in high school may not be your friends in college. It also taught me that being lazy to an extent is okay. Who said knowledge only came from textbooks? I learned a lot from people in one year than I did in four years of high school. Sometimes it's not the time, its the experience. Remember that.

1. It's perfectly okay to be scared.

I started off different than where I am now. I attended Coastal Carolina University, a Division 1 school in South Carolina. I hadn't shut up about going there since I was 12. But the minute I got accepted I was bouncing off the walls because for once I (thought) knew what I was doing with my life. I wanted to go to Coastal, become a pharmacist and live my life in sunny South Carolina. But the truth is that on move in day when my mom hugged me goodbye I realized I wasn't ready. I knew being on my own would be a blast but I had no idea what I was doing. I was really freaked out. I was living with people I had only known for a few months. But it got better (clearly not in the ways that led me to leave, but that is neither here or there). I taught myself how to do laundry (well, WikiHow did), I got around campus with no problem and I learned to go food shopping on my own. I ended up being okay.

2. Friends do not come easy and it'll take time.

Remember that first day of middle school? Where all the grammar schools merged and you had to make new friends? This was kind of it. College made me realize how much I stuck out like sore thumb. I wasn't the typical beach blonde sorority girl that I was surrounded by everyday times ten. I was the awkward, gangly, slightly overweight dirty blonde that was nervous all the time. I didn't really have friends for a while because of it. I knew I was different so I figured people wouldn't like me. I made one friend (thought I did) who only ended up using me and I thought it was all over. After that I made the final decision to transfer. But then I made a friend, one I'll have for life. We bonded in math class by being really confused all the time. Granted she came after I made my choice, but she was the one real friend I had there. She convinced me to stay and I almost did. But despite me not staying, I'm grateful I met her.

3. Bad food isn't an excuse to be unhealthy.

And PLEASE exercise. Just listen to me.

4. Two words: Free T-Shirts

I am about 99% positive that my first semesters tuition went to t-shirts. Like Rutgers gave me a car magnet when I got accepted. That was it. But Coastal probably supplied half my wardrobe for the semester. Remember that. Oh and free food happens a lot too.

5. You're there for an education.

I was really stupid my freshman year in general. Before school started, I broke up with my boyfriend that I had only been dating for a few months. By no means was I over him, but I knew I had to be because I was all the way in South Carolina which kind of speaks for itself. But instead of just solely focusing on school, I decided I needed a distraction. I got my heart broken by about 4 guys in a matter of two months. I went looking for someone because I was lonely and needed someone. And I'll tell you now, it's the worst thing you can do for yourself. Don't date boys, kiss them, have sex with them or whatever else you can think of because you need a distraction from something. It'll end up affecting everything you do.

With the start of the college year coming up I wish all my readers luck. Whether you are just starting college or going back, it's a new year and I hope it is filled with joyous opportunities! Stay awesome guys.