5 Self Care Tips to Make it Through the Holidays

The stress of the holidays can take a lot out of you.

8
BAM Communications

Finding the time and effort to take care of yourself is one of the hardest things to do, especially around the holidays. Between family, travel, money and everything else that's commonplace during the winter holiday season, it seems like you never have any time for yourself. Here's five ways to make sure you are your first priority.

5. Don't be afraid to say no

This is one of the easiest yet most difficult things you can do. If you feel like you are running on empty and everyone is asking you to go out or do things, it is totally okay to say no. Sometimes you just need a day to yourself to rejuvenate and recharge. If the people asking for your presence truly care for you, they will completely understand and definitely won't hold it against you.

4. Avoid the family you don't want to see during the holidays

This may seem harsh, but you do not owe your family anything, especially if they are damaging to your mental health. If they make you feel bad, do not go see them. Some may get upset, but it is not your responsibility to comfort them at the expense of your own psyche.

3. Skincare can always relieve some stress

This one may seem a little cliche, but it really does help. Taking some time to put on a face mask and an oil treatment for your hair does wonders. It gives you a predetermined amount of time to just lay back and be on your phone, and also helps clear your skin and give you amazing hair.

2. Don't stress out about maximizing your winter break

Many students, myself included, feel like they need to get the most out of their break and try to pack in all this stuff that they feel like they can't get done when school is in session. This will only serve to stress you out and make you feel like you have zero time to actually take a break like you're supposed to. Just breathe and relax and go out with your friends when you can.

1. Don't feel guilty for caring about yourself

This is such a major idea that is crucial not only during the holidays, but all of the time. You should never feel like you are being greedy for worrying and taking care of yourself. The holidays always emphasize being selfless and caring about others, but that does not mean you need to focus they yourself to do this. You can care about others and still recognize that you are important too. Make sure to take care of your self.