49ers Plan to Hire Kyle Shanahan + Possibly Go After Kirk Cousins

The team will be entirely different next season.

11

It has been reported that the 49ers will offer their head coaching position to Kyle Shanahan when Atlanta's season ends. While they seem to have found their next head coach, they still haven't seemed to have found a GM. There have been numerous candidates who have been the front runners, but many of them have either dropped out or declined an interview.

Clearly, the 49ers still have a lot of work to do. While Shanahan, who is expected to be the highest paid 1st time head coach in NFL history, was a great hire, Shanahan won't be able to do anything without a GM. Some have called for the 49ers to hire Kyle's dad, Mike Shanahan, the former Broncos and Redskins head coach, as the 49ers new GM. Jed York wants to make sure that the 49ers' next head coach and GM are a great working pair. It would be very safe to assume that Kyle and Mike would be able to work together well, especially since Kyle was Mike's offensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins.

On top of that, even if the 49ers hire a great GM to pair with Kyle Shanahan, they don't have a starting QB for 2017. Kaepernick is technically the only QB under contract for 2017, he will most likely opt out of his contract and try to find a new team.

If he does so, the 49ers will have 0 quarterbacks under contract next season. That leaves them with a couple of options. They can try to find one with the 2nd or 34th overall picks in the draft. Many analysts think that taking a QB at #2 is a bit of a stretch, but it might be necessary as there are numerous teams that pick not long after them that could end up taking a QB.

The quarterbacks in the draft aren't blowing anyone away though. The top overall QB has only started for a year in college. Even if he is the #1 QB taken, how ready will he be to lead a NFL team?

There are also rumors that the 49ers will pursue Kirk Cousins in a trade or free agency (depending on what the Redskins do with him). Kirk Cousins would easily be a QB than any rookie to start the 2017 NFL season, but he will be extremely expensive, with a contract possibly upwards of $24 million a year.

What do you think the 49ers should do?