I've had a pretty emotional, turbulent couple of months. A lot of my friends (and ex-friends) have had some tragically rough moments themselves. I haven't written in a long time, partially because of the tough times, but also because I haven't been honest with myself in pursuing my passions. That changed, over this mid-semester break. For the first time, I had a teacher telling me to be creative. I had homework telling me to make something. And I had classmates telling me to take care of myself. It was magic.
So in true social worker fashion, here's a list of quotes that I hope can make your day (and your life) a little bit easier. I hope there'll be something for everyone on this. Sometimes you don't really know what you need until you read it. Motivational, emotional, self-compassionate, spiritual, and a little dose of depression for the sad days. Hope something sticks.
P.S. Anything without a source is unknown, or too general to have one true source.
1. "You got this."
2. "Make yourself a priority. At the end of the day, you're your longest commitment."
3. "Choose to keep going."
4. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
5. "And in time, this too shall pass."
6. "Create the things you wish existed."
7. "You cannot save people. You can only love them."
8. "Trust the process."
9. "I'm not a girl. I'm a storm with skin."
10. "It can't be fixed, so let it go."
11. "We mature with the damage, not with the years."
12. "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."
13. "Ask yourself if what you're doing today is getting you close to where you want to be tomorrow."
14. "A lack of boundaries invites a lack of respect."
15. "What I create, is chaos."
16. "It's not easy to detach from people you've had close ties with but sometimes it's necessary in order to restore your sanity."
17. "It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for."
18. "No matter how good of a woman you are, you'll never be good enough to a man who is 'not ready.'"
19. "She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something."
20. "Don't look for things you aren't ready to find."
21. "Women who don't wear underwear never get their panties in a bunch."
22. "You get what you work for, not what you want."
23. "Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you do."
24. "You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice."
-Ziad K. Abdelnour.
25. "The only way out is through."
26. "I stopped explaining myself when I realized people only understand from their level of perception."
27. "Sometimes you just need someone to tell you you're not as terrible as you think you are."
28. "I owe no explanations for my flaws. I don't have to justify my mistakes, my past, or my insecurities. I am growing and learning. Let me live."
29. "You have every right to leave and create a safer space for yourself."
30. "She wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell."
31. "The only thing you have to do in this life is die. Everything else is a choice."
-Karen Thompson Walker.
32. "And whatever happens next...is whatever happens next."
33. "Inhale. Exhale. Repeat."
34. "Make peace with your broken pieces."
35. "People too often forget that it is your own choice how you want to spend the rest of your life."
36. "At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening."
37. "Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
38. "You can't love someone back to life."
39. "You're just a notch in the wall that made me."
-A Day To Remember.
40. "Take the risk, forget the fall. If it's what you want, it's worth it all."
41. "I'm not saying that everything is survivable. Just everything except the last thing is."
Realistically I could keep going forever, but when it comes down to is these are some of my all time favorites. Some oldies but goodies, some I hope you've never read, and at least one that hit you like a freight train. Even on my worst days, some of these sayings are exactly what I never knew I needed.