40 Tips To Help You Survive UNG Dahlonega

Make new friends and heed their advice.

710
Wikipedia

Welcome to UNG! Whether you're a freshman or a fifth-year senior, Dahlonega can be tricky and have its quirks; however, if you make some good friends and heed their advice, college can be more than just easy-breezy and a blast. Here are 40 tips to welcome you to the University of North Georgia in Dahlonega, Georgia:

1. Hoka Hoka is the closest thing we in Dahlonega have to your hometown's Asian fare.

Visit often to regain some sanity and a sense of home.

2. People will say not to eat Chow's pizza.

Unless the pizza is plain cheese, I say heed their advice.

3. Get to chow before the 12:15 "exodus," aka when every student at UNG goes to get lunch.

Get your food upstairs if you can. It's the most edible food chow has to offer.

4. In your first month, try to find a group and hike Preacher's Rock.

Do it at sunrise or sunset for the best Insta pic and the best connection to Jesus.

5. Speaking of Jesus, attend a campus ministry like Wesley, BCM or Campus Outreach weekly. Trust me.

6. Dining dollars are a Godsend.

Use them for a weekly (maybe even daily) dose of coffee from Starbs or Einsteins.

7. Speaking of Starbucks, try not to go there every day.

You'll certainly gain the freshman 15 and lose every dollar you have to your name.

8. You really won't gain the freshman 15 until your semesterly finals.

That's when the pounds pack on. Don't worry, it seems that you'll lose them just as quickly as you gained them on this campus.

9. Go through sorority/fraternity recruitment with an open mind, no matter what you think you have your heart set on.

Most likely, your mind will change.

10. Attempt to go to every Greek event available to you the first semester.

11. Most classes have a three to five skip day maximum.

Use them wisely, but definitely use them. Your mental health is more important sometimes.

12. Do not cross the Drill Field -- ever.

It doesn't matter if you're on fire or being chased by a bear, you better walk around it.

13. Stop at the 5 p.m. retreat or be shunned by the entire campus and corps.

Not a good way to make friends your first week.

14. Spend sunny days either laying on the side of the drill field it Eno-ing to study with friends.

15. People will bring dogs on campus.

Pet every one of them. The owners will let you and your heart will thank you for it.

16. Speaking of, try to visit both Dahlonega animal shelters occasionally. It does the soul good, and you may even find a new best friend to have your mom bring home for you.
17. When in doubt, pray it out. I did a lot of talking to Jesus my freshman year and I don't regret it.
18. If someone says not to go to a certain party, do not go. You are not invincible from arrest.
19. But if you do choose to go to a party, always hold and watch your drink. People are not nice nowadays.
20. Don't be ashamed to take pictures of the campus during sunrise or sunset. People may stare, but most likely they're doing the same thing. Don't worry about being judged.
21. Speaking of judging, remember: people are going to be different than you're used to. It's college. Do not be mean or rude to others.
22. Steer clear of JB's on Thursday nights. It's too packed, you'll get drinks spilled on you, and paying $5 to get in just isn't worth it.

23. You can never take too many notes or ask too many questions in class.

24. The HNS hill sucks for the first two months. Then it gets easier and your butt and thighs get super toned.
25. Also it's HNS. Not H&S. People will flip their lid if you say the latter. Oh, and Hoag doesn't stand for anything, either.
26. Get close to whoever your RA is. You'll need this later.
27. Dress up occasionally. It's good for your ego.
28. Pueblo's vs. El Jimador: Puebs is a bit farther but seems to be a bit cheaper, and they have music on Monday nights. El Jim is closer and the servers are super sweet. Either way, visit Puebs or El Jim occasionally because Mexican food is good for the soul.
29. Most of the stuff in the shops downtown is priced higher due to Dahlonega being a tourists town, but occasionally you'll find a jackpot of some sort in an antique store. Try to hit them all on the occasional Saturday.

30. WaHo at midnight with friends is never a bad decision (especially since Chow closes early).

31. Your student ID gets you a decent discount at the McDonald's in D-town, but you have remember to mention it in order to get it.
32. The student therapists are free and there are a lot to choose from. Find one and visit weekly to bi-weekly. You'll be glad you did. Take advantage of this for your mental health.
33. You don't have to buy all your textbooks within the first week, sometimes even two. Give it time because some professors may not even use them. Save some dolla bills, yo.
34. Did you know there's an outlet mall in Dawsonville? Don't visit too often unless you want to empty your wallet or you want to get a job.
35. GET A PAIR OF CHACOS.
36. Running two-ish laps around the drill field equals one mile. It's also a good source of therapy.
37. A lot of these mountain roads are twisty and don't have overhead lights. Please drive slowly and carefully.

38. Do not hesitate to ask someone to be a DD. Better safe than sorry.

39. Don't be ashamed to wear your UNG merchandise. It's your college, for goodness sakes!
40. Have a fantastic year!