4 Ways My Music Teachers Made Me A Better Person

Not just a better musician.

15
Pardon Our Dust

My high school chorus teacher was famous in the arts building for saying things during class that, when taken out of context, were ridiculously silly or just plain questionable. He said these things so often that someone decided it would be a good idea to record all of his musings throughout the year in an out-of-context “quote book” — otherwise known as the notes section on their phone. Though most of the things he said were really silly, one of his teacher-isms stuck with me from the beginning of my junior year to now, as I’m preparing to enter college. Just after one of our more stressful rehearsals, he told us, “I’m not a music teacher to make you better musicians. I’m a music teacher to make you better people.”

And that is what I’ve found to be the essence of most music teachers. They all have something to teach you outside of pitches and rhythms. If you’ve ever had a music teacher — whether in school, privately, or your own family member — then you might recognize some of these life lessons, too. Below are just a few of my favorites from over the years.

1. It’s not always about the performances.

When I was a freshman and sophomore I lived in upstate New York. My high school there was fortunate enough to have an administration and teaching staff that let the music programs run “private lessons” throughout the day. So, every week on alternating days, the three oboes in band would get together with our director during one class period for an oboe sectional.

Looking back, it was a luxury to be able to rehearse in a tiny group like that every week. It was the first time I really enjoyed lessons, and I know I learned more during those sessions than I had since starting oboe in fifth grade. I got to our first concert of freshman year and realized that, while I really liked performing, I had had way more fun during the lesson and rehearsal process.

This is applicable to a whole slew of scenarios outside of music. Learning to enjoy the process, not just the end goal, has taught me to always stay present in the moment — a gift I wouldn’t trade for any temporary performance high.

2. The KISS method — Keep it simple, stupid.

My middle school band director was a big fan of this one. Most of the time he used it to tell our beginning percussionists to calm it down on their drumset fills. I thought I’d heard the end of KISS once I moved to Florida, but my music theory teacher used it last year to advise against making our four-part compositions overly complex.

As an overthinker, the KISS method has saved my butt multiple times. Using more words doesn’t always get your point across better. Spending more money doesn’t always ensure a better experience or product. And, of course, overthinking just makes you a nervous wreck. Keep it simple, stupid.

3. Take care of the little notes and the big notes.

Remember the director I talked about with all of the weird out-of-context quotes? He liked to talk about this a lot. Musicians really like to emphasize the “money notes” in songs. (Think: everyone goes really ham whenever they sing “over the land of the free” during “The Star Spangled Banner.”) But a proper musician knows how to give equal care to the little notes in between the big moments. After all, if “free” were the only in-tune pitch in your whole rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner,” it wouldn’t be a very impressive performance.

I like to apply this line of thinking to self-care. Yes, you need to do well in school, but in order to do that you need to make sure you get enough sleep, eat enough meals, and find time to relax. Take care of your little notes, and your big notes will shine all the brighter for it.

4. It’s okay to show your emotions.

Music can be a very emotional experience. Sometimes your director will make you sing a song about muskrats or happy snowflakes, but sometimes your director will give you a song about love, or death.

In chorus, we like to try this elusive thing called “word stress,” which is exactly what it sounds like: adding stress to the most important words in a phrase. But even though it sounds simple, word stress can be difficult to put into practice until you learn the emotional value of a song. I didn’t really, truly understand word stress until I was fortunate enough to sing a beautiful arrangement of “Set Me as a Seal” at FVA All-State this past January. There, I learned that in order to really get the most out of a musical phrase, you have to expose your own emotions a little, and think about what exactly you’re aiming to communicate.

Putting your emotions out for everyone to see like that, especially when you’re singing or playing a solo, can be a real challenge. But I’ve found that it not only makes me a better performer, but it makes me a better communicator. When you invest your passion in the things that matter to you, people understand you better because they can relate to your feelings.

And that, in essence, is why music and other art forms are so powerful. They teach you the importance of communication and passion without boundaries. My music teachers have taught me to take care of myself, to stay present in the moment, and to communicate effectively with others. They taught me patience and compassion. Because of them, I am not just a better music teacher, but a better person. It is a gift I hope to one day pass on to my students, as well.