36 Hours: What To See In Vancouver

36 Hours: What To See In Vancouver

The perfect blend of city and nature.

88
36 Hours: What To See In Vancouver
Kate Kraemer

Vancouver quickly climbed my list of favorite cities after I saw it for about a day and a half. It was such a shock that I could feel so comfortable and intrigued with a city so quickly, but it happened for me in Vancouver. From this experience, I put together a list of things to see in Vancouver in only 36 hours.

1. Stanley Park

Not only is Stanley Park one of the largest urban parks in North America, it is also incredibly beautiful. Covered in massive redwood trees with scenic running paths, man-made structures scattered around the park that was built close to one hundred years ago, and plentiful grassy areas, this park is the perfect place to go for any individual or family, local or tourist. Unlike many other urban parks, Stanley Park was not designed or landscaped by an urban planner or landscape architect, but by the people of the city for over 125 years. Much of the park remains untouched by man. That is something you don't often see in a large city.

2. Seawall

The Seawall, which is a path that surrounds the peninsula that houses Stanley Park sees frequent bikers, runners, and walkers, local and visitors there to see the famous landmark. As a result of the intense change in the tide, it took over 60 years to build. This is one of the best places to take a stroll through the park or any park for that matter.

3. Granville Island

The public market here is the one to beat. Roads lined with quaint shops and boats of a wide range of size to rent to take on the harbor are surrounding the area known as Granville Island. This place is a perfect spot to do a little shopping and grab lunch.

4. Canada Place and Vancouver Convention Center West

Not just for a cruise or conference. The architecture of both buildings is what really drew me to these places in Downtown Vancouver.

5. Lions Gate Bridge

Lions Gate Bridge was privately built by the Guinness family to connect North Vancouver to Downtown Vancouver. The bridge was built as a two-lane bridge, but one more lane was added to try and ease the intense traffic during rush hour. The lanes actually change which direction cars flow throughout the day to control traffic.

6. Robson Street

This is THE shopping street in Vancouver, it is the equivalent to Chicago's State Street in nature. The street is home to both major stores like Forever 21 and Victoria's Secret along with small, local boutiques.

7. Vancouver Lookout

To get the best views of Van City, head to the Vancouver lookout tower and check out the breathtaking views.

8. China Town

Vancouver's Chinatown is the largest town in Canada and contains some very cool historical architecture that you can't see anywhere else.

9. Capilano Suspension Bridge

Located in North Vancouver, this traditional suspension bridge spans 460 feet and is 230 feet above the rushing waters of the Capilano River. Any adventure seeker must check this out.

10. Grouse Mountain

Grouse Mountain is also located in North Vancouver and there you can get a breathtaking, nearly aerial, view of The City Of Glass. This mountain also played a vital role in the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Vancouver is a city that has plenty to offer. In 36 hours, you can experience the breathtaking views of both nature and skyscrapers, take in the serenity of the untouched natural world, go shopping on a picturesque street, go on a thrilling adventure, and much more. If you're looking for a good time, make sure you head for Vancouver.