Things To Do In Las Vegas When You're Under 21

Having a good time on The Strip without slot machines and booze.

241
Search Rank

Every spring for the past couple years, my family and I have made the long trek from Virginia out to Las Vegas, Nevada to visit my mother's family for Easter. I have been under 21-years-old for each and every one of these visits, but that hasn't stopped me from having a great time. There are still plenty of fun things to do in Vegas without gambling away your last dollar and hitting the clubs for a night of drinking and dancing.

1. Hike in Red Rock Canyon.

Just 30 minutes from the Las Vegas strip, Red Rock Canyon visits are a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Available activities aside from hiking trails include mountain biking, rock climbing, and picnicking among the red rocks. This giant state park is sure to house a day of fun for the whole family.

2. Go Shopping at Fashion Show Mall.

Located on the Las Vegas Strip, this mall has just about everything. Fashion Show is anchored by high-end department stores such as Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and Nordstrom, as well as more affordable options like Forever 21, Dillard's and Macy's. If none of these stores fit your shopping needs, have no fear: there are over 200 other shopping and dining options inside the 1,888,151 square-foot shopping extravaganza.

3. Visit the Mob Museum.

The National Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement is a history museum housed in the former Las Vegas Post Office and Courthouse. The museum features many hands-on exhibits, such as "firing" a real Tommy Gun or training in a police simulator. Text and photo displays in the museum describe the history of organized crime and prohibition, as well as the economic opportunities these careers offered.

4. Go to a show.

I've seen a wide variety of shows throughout my visits to Las Vegas. From Britney Spears to Penn & Teller, there are always exciting musical, comedy, and circus acts available to watch at night instead of hitting the clubs. Cirque de Soleil has been a hit for years, and musicians such as Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, Celine Dion and Jennifer Lopez all perform resident shows in various hotels in Vegas.

5. Have a blast at The National Atomic Testing Museum.

Did you know that nuclear weapons were tested in the desert just outside Las Vegas? In fact, people watched these nuclear tests from the Las Vegas Strip! The National Atomic Testing Museum, a part of the Smithsonian Institute, exhibits the "Ground Zero Theatre" where visitors can experience an atmospheric nuclear test simulation. The museum also features artifacts from near test areas, pop culture memorabilia from the nuclear era, and interactive displays explaining radiation.

6. Visit Siegfried & Roy's Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat.

This animal sanctuary at the Mirage hotel features white tigers, lions, and leopards, as well as dolphins. Visitors get an up-close experience with majestic white tigers in the Secret Garden, in addition to viewing dolphins swim around a 2.1 million gallon habitat. These beautiful creatures are something you won't want to miss when visiting Las Vegas!

7. Go for a Gondola Ride at the Venetian

Ever wanted a taste of the experience of Venice without the trip overseas? At The Venetian, visitors can take a glide through the Grand Canal in an authentic Venetian gondola. Your gondolier sweeps you beneath bridges and through the shops of the hotel, and you might even be serenaded during your Italian boat ride through Vegas!

8. Go to the Tournament of Kings.

This dinner show is an action-packed adventure for the entire crew. Eat like kings with your hands while you watch medieval jousting and sword fighting and cheer your team on to victory. The Tournament of Kings at Excalibur has always been a good meal and a great time!

9. Test your shot at The Gun Store.

The Gun Store is an indoor shooting range just outside of the Las Vegas Strip. Guests can shoot guns from World War II, assorted machine guns, or shoot an Vegas-themed steel targets. The package possibilities are endless. As you shoot, trained employees will assist you with heavy guns and assure the safety of you and those around you.

10. See the Hoover Dam.

Just an hour from the Las Vegas Strip lies a giant dam inside of Black Canyon on the Colorado River. The dam itself is magnificent and beautiful. In addition to just viewing this wonder, visitors can take power plant tours as well as dam tours. Additionally, there is a museum that focuses on the men and women that built the dam.

11. See the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign.

Photo opportunity alert! This famous sign marks the Southern-most end of The Strip. The unique design can be seen on a plethora of Las Vegas souvenirs, as the sign was never copyrighted. There is a small parking lot beside the sign so tourists need not risk their lives in order to take a picture with this famous Las Vegas landmark.

Even if you aren't testing your luck at the slot machines or club hopping on The Strip, there are always a plethora of things for you to do in fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada!